cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WRVS4400N v2.0 ...IPS file update anytime soon?

andrewj70
Level 1
Level 1

I have a WRVS4400N v2.0 "Security Router" with IPS version 1.42 which was released June 3rd of this year. The previous IPS file, 1.41 was Oct. 5th of 2009. Is the wait time for IPS updates that long? I ask because 30 days after 1.42 was applied the router said "Your IPS file is too old, please update it". This leads me to believe that IPS file updates should be more frequent as the router is programmed (from what Ican see) to let you know the status bi-weekly . The firmware 2.0.0.8 is also quite old. I bought the 4400N v2.0 in June of 2010 and no updates since.

My 7 year old Linksys WRT54GS v.4 ($20 router on Craiglist) is running dd-wrt and has more updates and it just as secure, if not more so because the firmware is maintained more frequently. Seems to me the 4400N v2.0 is unsupported out of the box even before I got it home. Whats going on Cisco?

1 Reply 1

andrewj70
Level 1
Level 1

Another thing I might mention is hiding your SSID option in the 4400n v2 is buggy. All the wireless comps connect to the WRT54GS v4 with DD-WRT when the SSID is hidden but the 4400n v2 is not allowing any to connect.

Hopefully its a isolated issue on my part and none of these things are affecting anyone else. I have however decided to sell the 4400N v2 as its not satisfying my requirements. Especially since a much cheaper solution can do the same operations.