Views
Helpful
Replies

10G router, alternatives.

perpaal
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

I`m currently using a Cisco C3750G-48TS-E as my main router.

Lately the outgoing trunk on this have been exiding 800Mbps, 300-400Kpps.

When upgrading trunk from upstream provider , they will deliver it on a 10G port, and my router/switch do not support it.

I`m on a very tight budget, what hardware do you reccomend to upgrade to, taking traffic up to 10Gbps, 1000Kpps.

Need support for VRFs and PIM.

Was thinking on getting a 3750 with 10G module, but what model, and can it handle the traffic?

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your budget is tight, if you don't need 3750 stacking, you might consider the 3560X.  Also, if you can find one used, the earlier 3560E and 3750E also can provide 10g.  (The earlier -E series differs from the later -X series in they don't have module support nor support power stacking.)

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

The C3750X-48 would be a direct replacment for your 3750G. Install the C3KX-MN-10G module which will give you 4x 1G ports or 2x 10Gb ports depending on how you connect it up.

Also ensure that you enable the 'routing' SDM (sdm prefer routing) to improve its IPv4 unicast routing performance.

Depending on your budget, you could lose some of the 1Gb port density, but to be far it will be the 10G optics and modules which will the most disproportionally expensive!

cheers,

Seb.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

If your budget is tight, if you don't need 3750 stacking, you might consider the 3560X.  Also, if you can find one used, the earlier 3560E and 3750E also can provide 10g.  (The earlier -E series differs from the later -X series in they don't have module support nor support power stacking.)

Thanks, witch 3750E model supports 10G?

Disclaimer

Liability Disclaimer

Posting

Most (if not all).  They come with dual X2 slots.

Is it correct that the model with same features (ragarding routing/multicast/VRFs etc) that I have will be the WS-C3750E-48TD-E?

Disclaimer

The  Author of this posting offers the information contained within this  posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that  there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.  Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not  be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In  no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,  without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

perpaal wrote:

Is it correct that the model with same features (ragarding routing/multicast/VRFs etc) that I have will be the WS-C3750E-48TD-E?

Yes, believe so.

PS:

BTW, I do want note again the 3750E is end-of-sale, so a used one should be priced accordingly (and software development stops 1/14).

I took a look at the used marked, and I can get som very reasonable prices on the WS-C3750E-48TD-E, so I think this will be the way I go then.

Note that you have L3 switch, not a router.

For  a fast internet router you will need an ASR router, not entry-level L3  core switch, as it doesn't do the things you mentioned above, neither many other that are needed

Rate it usefull post

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

perpaal wrote:

Hi

I`m currently using a Cisco C3750G-48TS-E as my main router.

Lately the outgoing trunk on this have been exiding 800Mbps, 300-400Kpps.

When upgrading trunk from upstream provider , they will deliver it on a 10G port, and my router/switch do not support it.

I`m on a very tight budget, what hardware do you reccomend to upgrade to, taking traffic up to 10Gbps, 1000Kpps.

Need support for VRFs and PIM.

Was thinking on getting a 3750 with 10G module, but what model, and can it handle the traffic?

Regards

Note that you have L3 switch, not a router.

For a fast internet router you will need an ASR router, not entry-level L3 core switch, as it doesn't do the things you mentioned above, neither many other that are needed. .

I currently run PIM and sevral VRFs on my C3750 switches, no problem and great performance.

Do not see that I will be using BGP etc in near future, and with thight budget using these switches seemed to be the best solution.

What do you mean "as it doesn't do the things you mentioned above, and many others neither" is this regading to the performace 10Gbps 1000Kpps, or something alse?

What ASR router would you reccomed?

Need support for VRFs

Just want to let you know that the 3560, 3750 and 3850 only supports VRF-LITE and not full-blown VRF.

If you want VRF itself, then you need to be thinking of something bigger, like the ME-3800X.

Ok, thanks.

I know the MPLS limitation.

Good that works for you, but using a campus switch to face the internet is not a standard practice.

You can consider the smaller ASR that can be upgraded in performance with additional licenses.

Ok, what are the drawbacks on using it to face the Internet/routing?

As long as limitations on some features like MPLS and routing table size etc is know, any other aspects I should consider regarding performance? As performance is the key aspect of this router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: