cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1111 can't get DHCP for WAN from Comcast - migration from RV325

fccITAdmin
Level 1
Level 1

We're migrating the office from a Cisco RV325 (which is now End-of-Life) to a new Cisco 1111-4P. I can't get it to receive a WAN DHCP address from Comcast via the cable modem/router which is supplied from Comcast Business. That Comcast supplied modem/router is a Technicolor Model CGA4131COM. The modem/router is in "bridge mode". It has multiple RJ45 ports that can provide several WAN DHCP addresses.

Note that I've left the existing Cisco RV325 plugged into the modem/router (in order to keep the office working for now) and it receives a proper WAN DHCP address. According to Comcast, a couple of WAN DHCP addresses can be pulled from the modem/router simultaneously.

Some tests I did include:
* Plugged in a normal laptop to the Comcast modem/router on the extra RJ45 ports. It was able to receive a new WAN DHCP address.
* Removed the Comcast modem/router from the equation. Used a consumer router which provided DHCP addresses on its LAN ports. I plugged that into the 1111-4P GigabitEthernet0/0/0 port. It was able to receive the DHCP address.

I suspect the problem is a combination of the Comcast equipment/network and the Cisco 1111-4P router.

The problem is similar to @frayedends 
https://community.cisco.com/t5/routing/1111-won-t-pull-dhcp-for-wan-from-comcast-migration-from-891/td-p/4461458

I turned on DHCP debugging on the Cisco 1111-4P via CLI 'debug dhcp'. I've attached the debug output as well the Cisco 1111-4P config.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

fccITAdmin
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I tried all of them but it still wasn't working. Then I decided to just reboot the Comcast modem/router. After doing so, the 1111-4P got a DHCP address on the WAN. And my other router (RV325) also got a DHCP address too.  I only had to have "ip address dhcp" on the g0/0/0 interface.

It turns out that Comcast will provide a few dynamic IP addresses via DHCP for the WAN. But only a couple of them. I think the modem saves the count and then won't issue any more until it power cycles.  During previous testing we connected laptops to the Comcast modem and I think it remembered those MAC addresses as well.

There was a discussion from others on the Comcast forums about Comcast Business issuing multiple dynamic IPs:
Comcast Business issues multiple dynamic IPs in bridge mode 

Thanks again!

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Hello,'

try and add the line marked in bold:

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/0
--> ip address dhcp client-id GigabitEthernet0/0/0
ip nat outside
negotiation auto

Hello

spoof the new router wan interface -

append the mac-address of the old wan rtr interface to the new rtr and test adain just make sure the port you do use on the new rtr is in a routed port

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

The main thing that I notice in the posted output of debug dhcp is that the mac address is shown as 0000.0000.0000. I am not sure why that is. Perhaps the output of show interface G0/0/0 might be helpful? 

I notice that part way through the debug output that G0/0/0 changes state to up. So it was down as the debug started? Perhaps a shut & no shut might be helpful?

HTH

Rick

fccITAdmin
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you for all the suggestions!

I tried all of them but it still wasn't working. Then I decided to just reboot the Comcast modem/router. After doing so, the 1111-4P got a DHCP address on the WAN. And my other router (RV325) also got a DHCP address too.  I only had to have "ip address dhcp" on the g0/0/0 interface.

It turns out that Comcast will provide a few dynamic IP addresses via DHCP for the WAN. But only a couple of them. I think the modem saves the count and then won't issue any more until it power cycles.  During previous testing we connected laptops to the Comcast modem and I think it remembered those MAC addresses as well.

There was a discussion from others on the Comcast forums about Comcast Business issuing multiple dynamic IPs:
Comcast Business issues multiple dynamic IPs in bridge mode 

Thanks again!

Thanks for the update. It is good to know that your issue is resolved and that the solution was a reboot of the Comcast.

HTH

Rick

Hello

if in doubt …reboot! - lol

glad you got it working 

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card