Views
Helpful
Replies

1751v with wic-4esw switch card

billobob123
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Got a question regarding this wic-4esw card the router knows it's there from show inventory and the Ethernet interfaces are showing up, but I'm not getting devices to connect that is the pc plugged into the Ethernet on the switch card are not getting address from the routers dhcp.

At present I do not have vlan1 set up as I use an ip address going to eth0 which is plugged into a 3524 switch which I want to get rid off because it's too loud.

So do I need to get rid of the ip on the router Ethernet 0 and do vlan 1 with an ip address for the router to fully understand the switch card and host pcs and phones to be able to have address distributed to these devices.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

since the card is a layer-2 device only, you can add all the 4 ports to one vlan. Try putting all the interfaces in vlan 10

under the interface that the PC is connected try these:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

create the vlan

vlan database

vlan 10

More info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1700/1711/software/feature/guide/1711swm.html

HTH

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

what version of IOS are you running?

you need 12.3(2)XC and higher.

also, when you connect a PC to one of the ports, does the link light comes on?

if not are you using a straight through cable?

HTH

Hi there

yes the ios is fine, and yes there is activity on the link when i plug in a cable, its all good.

i need to see if setting up vlans will do the trick which i think they will buta if you have  better how to it will be welcome

since the card is a layer-2 device only, you can add all the 4 ports to one vlan. Try putting all the interfaces in vlan 10

under the interface that the PC is connected try these:

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 10

create the vlan

vlan database

vlan 10

More info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/1700/1711/software/feature/guide/1711swm.html

HTH

Thanks that's what I ended up doing,

Get rid of the ips for the Ethernet 0/0 and 0/0.10

Created a native vlan 1 with ip address and voice vlan 10 with ip address

Trunk modes on the switch interfaces to the wic-4esw

And the dsl is coming into the native built in fast ether on the router eth0/0

Everything is working and I just unplugged the 3524 ah it's now so nice and quiet again.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card