cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 BGP full view on ISR4000

Irina Belova
Level 1
Level 1

Is it enough default memory on ISR 4351 for keeping two BGP full views?

I found the following recommendation:

"Cisco typically recommends a minimum of 512 MB of RAM in the router to store a complete global BGP routing table from one BGP peer."

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/5816-bgpfaq-5816.html#seventeen

Is this recommendation still actual?

ISR 4351 has 4 GB DRAM in default configuration. Is this enough for 2 full views and all internal processes?

There would be 2 x 100Mbit/s Internet channels. I'm planning to upgrade performance to 400 Mbps, but I don't sure whether I should upgrade memory either.

4 Replies 4

Philip D'Ath
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I think this depends a bit on where in the world you are as to what your full feed looks like.

I was working recently with a customer in the UK, and an IPv4 full feed used about 760MB of RAM.  I just checked a clients 4331 and IOS-XE was using 256MB after boot.  Based on that you should be able to keep two full feeds on a 4351 with 1.7GB of memory used.

Note that the performance limitations of this platform is the total aggregate throughput.  So a 100Mb/s full duplex circuit can generate 200Mb/s of aggregate bandwidth.  So the 400Mb/s performance of this router will exactly match your total aggregate circuit capacity.  This also means that if you wanted to upgrade the size of the circuits of even add one extra circuit you could be looking at throwing this router away.

I would be tempted to consider the 4431 with a base of 500Mb/s of performance because of this.

Thank you for the answer!

I've read some threads like that: http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/cisco/nsp/183658

Of course, this is not official information but it's little bit confusing. 8Gb DRAM is quite a lot... Or it is correct only for 4451-x?

You wont need 8GB of RAM.

Unfortunately,

default 4Gb is not enough for 4400 running 16.06.(2,3 and 4).

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card