cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 router 2 ISP 1 L3 switch failover

megacafenui
Level 1
Level 1

I have a scenario with 2 router 2 ISP connected to 1 core HP switch. I need fail over to track the main and secondary. if main ISP router die, it should automatic failover to the second router.

first router is vendor lease router, I have no access to it configuration. second router is own and I can configure that.

router 1 (leased router) have 3 ethernet port on the back: 1 connect to ISP, 2 MPLS, 3 is to the HP L3 Core

router 2 (owned) have 2 ethernet port. 1 ethernet port connect to DSL modem and the second connect to HP L3 core.

router1 is the main primary internet connection, if it fail it should route traffic to router#2.

router2 is for secondary backup.

how do I achieve this being it is connected to HP L3 which doesnt have IPSLA tracking to ping .

I can do a failover with a single router having 2 ISP and using IP SLA on the router and to track, but two router I am kind of stuck. any help appreciated.. thanks

4 Replies 4

Hi megacafenui, without access to the configuration of the first router this would be hard to do.I suggest looking into getting a router then set it up to go to the second router as a fail over. if you need assistance please feel free to send me an email fguasque@cisco.com

I was thinking doing VRRP. is this the recommended failover protocol? hopefully I can get the lease vendor to configure it. 

Bilal Nawaz
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

You can use dynamic routing protocols to achieve this but obviously we need to know what the HP L3 core switch capability is with this. 

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

it is the HP L3 procurve 2824 .  I believe it only does basic ip routing.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card