Views
Helpful
Replies

2 tunnel interfaces, one as backup

pamirian76
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

I have 2 tunnel interfaces on my spoke with GRE, 1 connects to hub1 the other to hub2.

all is working well, both tunnels are up and with eigrp only 1 is being used while the other will be used if the main tunnel fails.

now is there a way for me to have tunnel 1 up but not tunnel 2. tunnel 2 will come up only if tunnel 1 fails?                  

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wouldn't you want both tunnels up at all times? Convergence times would be shorter during failover if they were.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pamirian76
Level 1
Level 1

ok found my answer, backup command on the first tunnel int.

thanks.

doesn't seem to  be working... I'm under the impression that the backup command needs to be ran on physical interfaces...

Wouldn't you want both tunnels up at all times? Convergence times would be shorter during failover if they were.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

I do have both up at this time.

now having both up seems better when you have few spokes but when you have thousands you want to save ressources and not have tunnels up for no reason.

but yes you have a valid point.

I did the test none the less and convergence time is still very quick specally when the spoke are just stubs.

thanks.

all right got it working...

for those who may want to do this one day here is what you need to do.

on a tunnel interface you need to have a keepalive command so I used

config t

int tun0

keepalive 5 3

otherwise your tunnel 0 int will just stay up up even tho it must say down. if it says up up then the backup tun1 will never take over.

thanks.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card