Views
Helpful
Replies

2509 doesn't respond after trying to connect to another device

FGarcia0083
Level 1
Level 1

Hi every one

I've been using my 2509 router as an access server for my 3 routers, 1 frame-relay (3640) and 4 switches for the past 2 months and it work great till this morning.

As soon as the async lights on when i try to connect, it just hangs.  It doesn’t respond to anything. No key hits not even disconnecting the console to where im connecting too. (from router to router) if i reboot the router with out the cord plug in (the async) i can use the router with all functions working great; But as soon as i connect the async cord.

The lights blink and poof router is gone. No response.

i just cant figure how from one day to the next it doesn’t work.

I haven't tried a different cable yet but i tried disconnecting all console connection and just left the plug in and boot.

This works but as soon as i connect to any console port physically it gone.  No response

Just wondering on my part if this has happened to anyone before

i cleared all my configes and its blank and it still just doesn’t respond as soon as i connect any thing (after configuring all the basic)

ive tried these

line 1 8 

no flush-at-activation 

no login local 

no modem Dialin 

no exec 

speed 9600

still no good

Thanx for Reading

3 Replies 3

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

Take the Async cable out from the back of the router and make sure none of the pins are bent.  It could be that you have bent pin and that causes the cable not to connect

HTH

Hello Reza

I took the cable out and check but there are no bent pins or missing ones, i look at the port where it connects with a bright led light to see if there where any pins that might have been there before but there were none.

Thanx for the reply,

I’m afraid it might have just died of old age in any case I will keep trying

Hi,

The other thing that I forgot the mention is that since the octopus cable is pretty heavy and bulky and so when you connected it to the router it tends to hangs down and may separate or loosen the interface from the motherboard on the router and that what causes it to short and not connect.  When you connect the cable try to put some thing under it so it does not hang as much and test again.  Usually the cable does not go bad.  Since the 2500 is very old they are not expensive at all.  They cost around $100 an eBay.  If you have to get one get a 2911. it comes with 16 Async ports instead of 8, but a little more expensive.

HTH

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card