Views
Helpful
Replies

2901-SEC/K9

aotholland
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

I was looking an HWIC card for CISCO2901-SEC/K9. We have one internet connection (ADSL) current.

Now we want to backup internet connection from cable service provider. I will implement IPSec on this HWIC.

What HWIC cards can I choose for this router?

Krgds.

6 Replies 6

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

I assume you are asking about the cable cards compatible with this router (the IPsec is not implemented on the HWIC module - it is implemented either on CPU itself or, more often, using a built-in or additional extension crypto module - nothing you need to specifically care about if you already run IPsec). The list of all compatible modules including can be found here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps10537/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html#broadband

Sadly, according to this datasheet, these cable interfaces are end-of-sale and I see no other DOCSIS-compatible interfaces being available for the 2900. It seems as if there was no way of directly connecting a cable to this router. Perhaps an Ethernet-to-cable modem would help?

The bottom line is - I am afraid it is not possible to install a DOCSIS interface into the 2901 router anymore.

Best regards,

Peter

Thansk for answer.

The cable provider already has supplied a cable modem . I just need a HWIC card for this router so cable modem can working with 2901 router.

This router security bundle. It is possible to configure IPSec.

Hello,

Your 2901 router already has 2 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces. Are they both already used for different connections? If any of them is currently free, you may use it to connect to the cable modem.

Your router currently has security license so yes, you should be able to implement IPsec.

Best regards,

Peter

That GE interfaces are not free.

Therefore i need a HWIC for backup line. I have looked on cisco configuration tools. But i dont known which one is true HWIC for this issue?

Thank you very much Peter.

Krgds.

Hello,

I see. Hmmm... In that case, I would suggest purchasing one of the switch modules described in this data sheet:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps10536/data_sheet_c78-612808_ps5949_Products_Data_Sheet.html

The reason is that the routed ports you originally suggested are very expensive and cost-ineffective when it comes to cost-per-port ratio. Using the switch modules, you could move your LAN connections from the built-in ports to the ports on this switching module and use VLANs to optionally separate them into multiple networks, and you have the luxury of having multiple ports at your disposal. The built-in GE ports would remain available for specific applications such as PPPoE clients etc. should they be necessary. If plain IP-only connectivity is required, the ports on the switch EHWIC (coupled with VLANs and VLAN interfaces, or SVIs) and built-in GE ports are practically identical in their features.

Best regards,

Peter

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card