Views
Helpful
Replies

3650 LAN base and 802.1q

mlsc
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

A quick question, does the 802.1q VLAN trunking functionality exist in the LAN base image of the 3650, or do I need IP base? If anyone can also point me to an actual reference for this info, that would be great.

Thanks, Michael

3 Replies 3

chrihussey
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The 3560 LAN base image supports 802.1Q trunking. I don't have any running LAN base but I do have some 2960s running LAN base and they are trunking.

Admittedly, I can't find anything explicitly saying it does, but it does spell out what additional features the IP Base and IP Services images provide.

The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series can be purchased with the IP Base or IP Services licenses pre-installed. The IP Base license offers advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions. The IP Services license provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IPv6 unicast and IPv6 Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR). The IP Services license upgrades Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series switches to include IPv6 routing support. Upgrade licenses are available to upgrade a switch from the IP Base license to the IP Services license.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-3560-series-switches/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

Regards

Regards

Thanks, I was mixing up trunking and tunnelling. Trunking is supported in the LAN Base, 802.1q tunnelling only in the IP Base.

802.1q is the only encapsulation supported and it doesn't matter if it's LAN Base, LAN Lite, etc.  Cisco's ISL is no longer being supported.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card