cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3825 not booting properly

chris.stuntz
Level 1
Level 1

I have a 3825 that is supposed to be in ROMMON mode (according to Cisco documentation), but, I'm not getting the rommon1> symbol, just random characters after hitting the Enter key.

The 'SYS' led on the front panel is flashing green.

21 Replies 21

Hi Steve, Chris's issue is that he is not able to gain access to rommon> prompt. The console session returns strange characters, and he has already determined it is not the console cable or the baud rate.

So without getting to the rommon> prompt, it is difficult for him to initiate either xmodem or tftpdnld.

Allan.

Allan,

Yes, thank you.

Also, I do have another operational 3825 that I can grab the flash card from and try to boot this router...

Well, I've booted the router with the CF from the good router a few times and still no legible characters. The 'SYS' led has stopped flashing, and, the cursor scrolls across the screen like the image is loading, but, it's all blank (not the normal boot characters).

I assume that you able to connect to the working 3825 without any problem using the same console? This will confirm that it definately not the cable or terminal session.

If you can connect, then unfortunately Chris we appear to have run out of options here to try, the only alternative is for an RMA?

Allan.

Yes, I just consoled into a 2811 (using same terminal and console cable) with no problems. I've also tried every speed setting (bps) in HyperTerm...

Yes, an RMA has already been processed. Thanks for the assistance.

Sorry things didn't workout very perculiar problem I must say, all the best.

Allan.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card