cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4321 QoS Question

ALIAOF_
Level 6
Level 6

I have the following QoS on a 2901, trying to put the same on 4321 with IOS XE running.  All works but I can't just drop it under "class BLOCK".  There are different options set us shaping, policing, set etc.  What would be the best way to achieve the similar results?  Thank you.

policy-map VOIP_QOS
 class Voice
  priority percent 40
  set ip dscp ef
 class BLOCK
  drop
 class AF41-Plat
  bandwidth remaining percent 25
 class AF31-Gold
  set ip dscp af31
  bandwidth remaining percent 50
 class AF21-Silver
  set ip dscp af21
  bandwidth remaining percent 15
  queue-limit 300 packets
 class AF11-Scavenger
  set ip dscp af11
  bandwidth remaining percent 5
  queue-limit 300 packets
 class class-default
  bandwidth remaining percent 5
  queue-limit 300 packets
  set dscp default
policy-map SUBINT_PARENT
 class class-default
  shape average percent 100
   service-policy VOIP_QOS

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Elliott Willink
Level 1
Level 1

Police comes with conform-action drop. I guess the much wordier version of drop :)

class BLOCK

police 8000 conform-action drop exceed-action drop violate-action drop

View solution in original post

Yep, so on your platform you are license limited to 50mbit or 100mbit - however the router itself is far more powerful than that. Unless there is an error condition you will never enable so many features that you "overload" your router - Your limit is purely in the license you have paid for.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Elliott Willink
Level 1
Level 1

Police comes with conform-action drop. I guess the much wordier version of drop :)

class BLOCK

police 8000 conform-action drop exceed-action drop violate-action drop

Got it thank you, so I guess with IOS XE I will need to put some number in there and 8000bps is the minimum.

Yep, well it really doesn't matter what you put in the minimum as it is dropping regardless of the police value.

Theoretically (I'm assuming..) this is more processor intensive than a simple drop command, as it needs to compare the traffic flow to the police value, but none of this is a concern on the 4000 series as you are license limited, not processor limited.

Thank you one last question, when you say license limited are you talking about the throughput ?

Yep, so on your platform you are license limited to 50mbit or 100mbit - however the router itself is far more powerful than that. Unless there is an error condition you will never enable so many features that you "overload" your router - Your limit is purely in the license you have paid for.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card