Helpful
Replies

4321 Router Initializing Hardware Stuck

Pearce
Level 1
Level 1

Everytime i boot the router i get the below

'Initializing Hardware...'

I need to enter ROMMON, however i am unable to type, Breaking in putty or Spamming break doesn't seem to work. 

I am unsure on how to progress as i don't seem to be able to get past this.

Does anyone have any idea on how i can proceed?

TIA

12 Replies 12

I took the liberty to move your post from the IP Telephony and Phone board as it didn’t match the topic of that board to the Routing board.

Response Signature

What flow control are you using on your emulator? It could be that the router is expecting RTS/CTS and you are using XON/XOFF or none. Try a different setting for flow control.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the router is still in ROMMON, post the complete output to the following commands: 

1. dir bootflash:
  2. set

Unfortunately i'm unable to enter ROMMON mode. Thank you.

@Pearce  wrote:

'Initializing Hardware...'

Are you saying that after "Initializing Hardware" that is all you get?

Yea, so the only thing it states in the CLI is 'Initializing Hardware...", nothing else, then 2 or 3 mins later its says it again.

Contact Cisco TAC and organize RMA. 

- You can do  a 'final power cycle' , if it keeps on Initializing hardware, consider the device broken and have it replaced (RMA).

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- If it doesn't go past Initializing Hardware, then that could be a fatal hardware problem

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '

Could this be the console port? I say this because the USB Type B mini port,  is loose and that is how we are connecting to the console? 

- Very much doubt it , when you see 'Initializing hardware' then that can only mean that your console works.

M.

I agree with @marce1000 that it’s doubtful that it is a problem with the console port as you get output. Quite likely your hardware is FOBAR’ed and needs replacement.

Response Signature

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card