cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

4G HWIC Roaming after inactivity

Nicholas Root
Level 4
Level 4

We are using the 4G HWIC in the cisco 2900 ISR routers for backup WAN connectivity via VPN tunnel. I have built EEM scripts that enable the cellular interface when the primary ISP (interface) fails.

working cellular status......

Radio Information

=================

Radio power mode = ON

Current RSSI = -64 dBm

LTE Technology Preference = LTE

LTE Technology Selected = LTE

After around 7-10 days the cellular card startsto roam as if the card is hibernating.

Radio Information

=================

Radio power mode = ON

Current RSSI = -125 dBm

LTE Technology Preference = LTE

LTE Technology Selected = LTE

The only way to fix the problem so far that I found is to power cycle the router. This will not work as a solution. I have tried shutting down the cellular interface but that does not work and you can not reset the radio from the IOS commads. I called Verizon to see if the 4G network was blocking me due to inactivty and they pointed to the cellular card as the problem.

PLEASE HELP!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

j.burwell
Level 1
Level 1

This is a bug with the modem firmware that runs onthe HWIC itself. Luckily new firmware has been released which you must get from Cisco. Once you load the firmware in flash, the command is- microcode reload cellular 0 0 modem-provision flash:MC7750_VZW_03.05.10.06_00.cwe  (assuming your HWIC is in slot 0)

After you upgrade the modem to the new firmware you can get rid of all those EEM scripts. It should run great after this upgrade. I had the exact same problem you have and it fixed my issues with a number of sites. The modem will power cycle after the upgrade so you will loose connecivity but if the upgrade is successful the connection should nail back up after the power cycle. This problem has plagued me since day one of these LTE HWICs. In my opinion Cisco should be doing a better job letting people know the fix. I have to get past the first TAC agent to get this updated firmware. The minimum IOS to suport the new modem firmware is 15.2(4)M3. Make sure you upgrade the IOS first, then the modem, at least that is what TAC had me do.

I have a pdf doc with bug IDs, etc but cant attach it to this reply.

Good Luck, this should solve your issues. This HWIC works MUCH better now.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

j.burwell
Level 1
Level 1

This is a bug with the modem firmware that runs onthe HWIC itself. Luckily new firmware has been released which you must get from Cisco. Once you load the firmware in flash, the command is- microcode reload cellular 0 0 modem-provision flash:MC7750_VZW_03.05.10.06_00.cwe  (assuming your HWIC is in slot 0)

After you upgrade the modem to the new firmware you can get rid of all those EEM scripts. It should run great after this upgrade. I had the exact same problem you have and it fixed my issues with a number of sites. The modem will power cycle after the upgrade so you will loose connecivity but if the upgrade is successful the connection should nail back up after the power cycle. This problem has plagued me since day one of these LTE HWICs. In my opinion Cisco should be doing a better job letting people know the fix. I have to get past the first TAC agent to get this updated firmware. The minimum IOS to suport the new modem firmware is 15.2(4)M3. Make sure you upgrade the IOS first, then the modem, at least that is what TAC had me do.

I have a pdf doc with bug IDs, etc but cant attach it to this reply.

Good Luck, this should solve your issues. This HWIC works MUCH better now.

Thanks for the reply. I actually got the same response from TAC and applied the firmware upgrade and IOS upgrade. This has resolved the problem. I forgot to update this thread so thank you for the reminder and for posting the solution!!

mmason221
Level 1
Level 1

Could you share out some of your configuration? I just got a

EHWIC-4G-LTE-V along with a SIM from our Telco group. I have Cellular 0/0/0, Cellular 0/0/1, Cellular 0/0/2, Cellular 0/0/3 interfaces.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card