ATTENTION: We are currently working an issue with posting. Thank you for your patience while we work on a resolution.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

56k circuit to T1 - possible?

JoshGH
Level 1
Level 1

I have a question concerning 56k leased lines and their connectivity. A bank customer of mine is looking at a 56k line to an ATM (automatic teller machine, not the service). I have never worked with these so it is unfamiliar territory. I believe we would need a router with WIC-1DSU-56K4 at the ATM side of the circuit, but my question is on the host side of the circuit. Will these circuits only interface with a WIC-1DSU-56K4 or can they go into a T1 interface as the first channel? I am thinking not because some documents say they do not have timeslots and the pinouts are a bit different. Anyone's response with experience with these circuits is appreciated. If it matters, the customer is in the Sprint telco area.

Thanks,

Josh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

b-ulrich
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, yes you will need a WIC that supports a 56/64K circuit. It will not work with a T1 interface on the first channel as this carrier technology is different and as you stated the pinouts are different. If you purchased a fractional T1 with only one timeslot (64K), then you would be able to use a WIC-1DSU-T1.

The 1700 Cisco product line has many options with integrated 56/64 DSU's, however I believe they are being phased out by the 1800's. Have you thought about using ISDN? If the distance it is dialing is local, that it is a pretty good option? I would say about as stable as any other telco service delivery once you get it up and working the way you want.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

b-ulrich
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, yes you will need a WIC that supports a 56/64K circuit. It will not work with a T1 interface on the first channel as this carrier technology is different and as you stated the pinouts are different. If you purchased a fractional T1 with only one timeslot (64K), then you would be able to use a WIC-1DSU-T1.

The 1700 Cisco product line has many options with integrated 56/64 DSU's, however I believe they are being phased out by the 1800's. Have you thought about using ISDN? If the distance it is dialing is local, that it is a pretty good option? I would say about as stable as any other telco service delivery once you get it up and working the way you want.

Thank you for your prompt reply. It was exactly the information I needed. I provide a private WAN for my customer with a dedicated 7200 series router. We bring T1s into the router via a channelized DS3. I did not think I would be able to put the 56/64k leased line on one of those T1s, but needed to verify. I will discuss a few options with my customer, including ISDN.

Thanks!

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card