Helpful
Replies

7600 or ASR 1000 Series as ISP EDGE WAN

Terence Payet
Level 1
Level 1

Hi experts,

I want your opinion on something.

We currently have 6 STM1 and will soon have an additional 2x STM4.

The existing STM's are connected on a 7600. 

We are planning to do a major upgrade in order to cater for the additional STM4 and will be grateful if i can have your views on the matter.

Right now we cannot accept full BGP table from our upstream provider due to the low mem on the 7600.

So we are thinking on either going towards two 7600 with SUP3cXL which will be able to cater for the full BGP table + we need to buy additional line cards. Or we go towards the ASR1000 series, which i think might be an overkill, but am definitely thinking of future growth.

Thanks to advise.

Regards,

Steve 

3 Replies 3

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

I haven't done the due dilligence on the interfaces, But the ASR is the way to go.

7600 has been around, and unless you need all the slots, why bother?

Thanks vmiller.

We don't need any additional cards apart for the POS ports and 3X10G interfaces.

Plus we need something that will be able to cater for the whole BGP table.

I was task to build a business case on the matter. But it will be a bit difficult to convince the business on the go about of the ASR (if you know what i mean). So my business case needs to be solid.

Anyway thanks for your help.

Regards,

Steve

Get with whomever you purchase your Cisco gear from. they should be able to provide you

the necessary info on a price comparison. The ASR is a pure router, its going to be much more effective than a layer 3 switch for routing. In addition, as link speeds increase, its going to be much more of a challenge to get those links retro fitted to a legacy device.

I think with a little effort, the business case will make sense to the bean counters.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card