cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

878 ISR memory upgrade

mbluemel
Level 1
Level 1

I mistakenly bought an 878 with the security software installed. I actually need the advanced IP package as I need to set up vlan's. Apparently this needs 28mb of flash and not the 24mb that is standard. When I checked inside the router has a 4mb module already installed. Does that mean there is 20mb on the board with 4mb on the module? If so I guess I need an 8mb module to replace the 4mb. Any help much appreciated as I cannot find anything on the web site that helps.

5 Replies 5

amit-singh
Level 8
Level 8

Hi friend,

You have everything in here that you need.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/prod_installation_guide09186a00800aff5f.html

Good luck..

HTH, Please rate it if does.

-amit singh

Thanks very much. I am sure I saw that page once before but couldnt find it again. I will order the flash memory today and get it done. Bit of a rush as the installation date is next week.

Hi there.

I had the exactly same problems, I need to add more VLANs. After figuring out, that I need to order an additional flash, I did so and was able to replace the flash with no problem.

Now I need to load the image onto the new flash, I tried using xmodem with no luck. Next I tried to use a TFTP server. Now I can transmit files to the router but it won't accept them, it's always the same error message "invalid file header" "wrong target platform OR corrupted file".

I guess the right file to copy to the flash would be SDM-2.3.1-878-c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-4.T1.bin ??? It's about 2kb

Any help would be appriciated appreciated.

Ok, I found the solution to my problem. My file isn't really a IOS image, it has just the name of it :/

So I went to http://tools.cisco.com and downloaded an IOS image for my Cisco 878

I am glad about that. I actually got the memory today and am going to do the upgrade on monday. Did it all go ok?

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card