Views
Helpful
Replies

9300 replacement for ME3800

jabrfouad
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

Which version of the Catalyst 9300 will be a good replacement choice for the ME3800, we are talking only about routing capabilities?

9300 support MPLS, l2vpn, L3vpn ...

Thanks,

7 Replies 7

pieterh
VIP
VIP

???
look at the end of the EOL information
End-of-Sale and End-of-Life Announcement for the Cisco ME 3800X Series Carrier Ethernet Switch Routers - Cisco

=> Product Migration Options

Customers are encouraged to migrate to the Cisco ASR 902 Router with route switch processor RSP3-200 (A900-RSP3C-200-S). Information about this product can be found at: http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-903-series-aggregation-services-routers/data_sheet_c78-685686.html.

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Not sure is the Catalyst 9300 or you replacing with IE9300

the latest stable version 17.9.X is good to go on Cat 9K (Hope you have checked all the features supported by Cat9K before you buying and replacing metro ethernet switch ?)

you also need network advantage License to support those features you looking to deploy

check the datasheet :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/switches/catalyst-9300-series-switches/nb-06-cat9300-ser-data-sheet-cte-en.html

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

Hello!

Yes the 9300 supports VPLS/L2MPLS/L3MPLS but it gets tricky with more advanced MPLS features. I've had issues with QinQ and some others. So first check for what you are using your ME3800X because most are used in ISP networks and the 9300 is not recommended.

BR

****Kindly rate all useful posts*****

M02@rt37
VIP
VIP

Hello @jabrfouad 

NCS540 series should be a better replacement for your ME3800.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/routers/network-convergence-system-540-series-routers/index.html

Best regards
.ı|ı.ı|ı. If This Helps, Please Rate .ı|ı.ı|ı.

Ramblin Tech
Spotlight
Spotlight

The ME3800/ME3800X line was targeted at aggregation networks for carrier-ethernet/metro-ethernet SP operators and designed with environmentals a little better than NEBS L3, but not quite up to Outside Plant Class 2. As such, it supported either DC power (common with North American SPs) or AC power (common with SPs outside North America).

- First question: do you have a use case that requires metro-e features (ie, VLAN tag acrobatics, L2VPN, Y.1731, Y.1564, etc)? 

- Second question: do you require OSP environmentals?

- Third question: do you require DC power?

If you answered "no" to all of these, then you probably do not need a router that is targeted toward SPs and is a direct replacement for the ME3800 (ie, ASR 9xx, NCS 5xx). You can probably get by with most anything that meets your speeds & feeds, and has a solid L3 feature set.

Disclaimer: I am long in CSCO

jabrfouad
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone,

sorry for the delayed respond,

yes in Cisco documentation the ASR902 is the recommended replacement, and also NCS 540 will be an interesting replacement,

but in our case we have a Cisco ME3800 in the SP network as a small B2B PE with simple l3vpn and l2vpn services, so we are looking for replacement device that will do the job without buying an oversized platform.

thanks all,

Meeting your actual needs without using an "oversized platform" might be more difficult than it appears becuase the MetroEthernet switches, I recall, had additional hardware resources that LAN switches do not.  Usually regrading TCAM amount, TCAM management, buffer resources and buffer management.

Assuming your actual usage needs such ME switch enhancements, cannot say whether any other "apparently similar sized switch", will be an adequate replacement.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card