cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

About Cisco 881

danbee
Level 1
Level 1

I am new in the cisco world. I have two cisco 800 series router and I want to connect both of them to configure ip routing in a lab environment but there is no serial port for that. Is there a way to get around that. Please help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi @danbee ,

If for now you do not have more questions, do not forget to mark the correct answer as solved, so, we help other users with a similar question.

Regards

View solution in original post

13 Replies 13

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @danbee ,

If you want to communicate two routers, you can do it using a crossover cable. Then you configure a point-to-point network in the interfaces.

Regards

Thanks for your prompt reply. I reckon the port for that is Fe wan?

Am actually using it for my lab.

Hi @danbee ,

That router is made for a small network, in which the WAN interface would be connected to the internet and the 4 LAN to private networks.

For your laboratory, I recommend connecting both routers through a LAN port. 

Regards

Thanks a lot

Hi @danbee ,

If for now you do not have more questions, do not forget to mark the correct answer as solved, so, we help other users with a similar question.

Regards

Deepak Kumar
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

What is the error message? Cisco 800 series router (few models) are required VLAN configuration same as Switch. Means you can assign the IP on the VLAN only.

Try like this:

Interface VLAN 1

ip add 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.0

exit

!

interface vlan 2

ip add 192.168.2.1 255.255.255.0

exit

!

interface gig 0/0

description This is LAN 1 

no shut

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 1

exit

!

interface gig 0/1

description This is LAN 2 

no shut

switchport mode access

switchport access vlan 2

exit

Regards,

Deepak Kumar

Regards,
Deepak Kumar,
Don't forget to vote and accept the solution if this comment will help you!

luis_cordova
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi @danbee ,

I do not notice the parameters of your router.

Effectively, you must configure the IP address in the WAN interface(f0/4), since LAN interfaces are part of a switch module, that is, they work in layer 2, so they can not have a configured IP address.

To give an IP address to the 4 LAN ports, you must do it through the interface vlan1, just like in an L2 switch.

I leave this link for more information:

https://youtu.be/J-RoJRUtVMI

Regards

I am creating 3 subnets in the lab:

1.Cisco router 881 to Cisco 867

2. Then the routers are connected to 2 devices in 2 different subnets.

Please, how do I accomplish that?

I am configuring IP routing in my lab. I want to connect the two routers together which are 881 and 867. I want the routers to connect to other devices like switch and PC on both ends. There is going to be three subnets. Between the routers will be 172.16.10.1 and 172.16.10.2. The other addresses will be internal from the router to the switch and other devices. I need help in sorting this out.

Less I forget. What type of ethernet cable will be used to connect the two wan in the router?

Hi  @danbee ,

The cable should be crossed.
In the link that leaves you, it shows how to configure the internal networks through the interface vlan1.

Regards

The link you left me: I tried the command switchport mode and it does not work on my router

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco