cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACI PIM and IGMP

stephendrkw
Level 3
Level 3

At the moment I have migrated a L2 (VLAN) from Brownfield network into ACI Bridge Domain all hosts are working fine until I disabled PIM on the BD, hosts are using Brownfield L3 Routing network. So in order to listen/join to Multicast, hosts within the BD, hosts are performing  an IGMP snoop to join the L3 Interface Querier (PIM interface) which s held on the Brownfield network.

Why is it when I disable PIM on the ACI BD all these hosts can no join multicast streams?

Effectively the PIM interface/querier is located on the Brownfield network not ACI (PIM IP is not configured in ACI), hosts are only using IGMP within ACI so why when I turn PIM off on the BD where the hosts are, this makes multicast/IGMP no longer work? 

2 Replies 2

Hello,

it is a bit difficult to visualize what you are dealing with, can you post a topology diagram, as well as the relevant configs ?

pman
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi,

what you want is to configure L2 multicast in ACI?

Configurations

This is a summary of the configuration steps. There is not much configuration for L2 multicast except to enable an IGMP querier. 

• Step 1: Configure the Fabric Access Policies for the Multicast Server and Client Host Connectivity
  • Step 2: Create the EPG, BD, and VRF for the Multicast Receiver and Source
  • Step 3: Attach a Physical Domain to the EPG and Configure the Static Port
  • Step 4: Configure the IGMP Querier

This section describes the detailed configuration steps.

IGMP Querier Requirement

The IGMP querier requirements include:

• The IGMP snooping mandates an IGMP querier for proper operation, in order to avoid the silent discard of the group.
  • A Protocol Independent Multicast (PIM) router can act as querier to send the IGMP query anyway.
  • In the case of pure L2 multicast with no PIM router in the BD at all, we can enable an IGMP querier function to send the query without running PIM.

Maybe the following link will help a little:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/software/aci-data-center/217712-configure-the-l2-multicast-in-aci.html

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card