cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACL Applied in Inbound direction and another ACL exist for in outbound direction - will return traffic allow

asreenivasan
Level 1
Level 1

interface gix/y
ip address A.B.C.D 255.255.255.192
ip access-group ACL-Inbound in
ip access-group ACL-Outbound out
exit

In ACL-Inbound I have allowed SMTP traffic 6 source address to 4 destination server. One sample output among 24 acl is given below.

permit tcp host E.F.G.H host I.J.K.L eq 25

I haven't applied any specific rule for SMTP traffic on outbound direction. My understanding is destinations will be able to reply to the request. Does that need to be specified in the ACL

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

fahadallakkatt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Router normally work as stateless .So you need to specify the rule for smtp traffic both direction .

Or else use Reflexive ACL.

BR,

Fahad

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

fahadallakkatt
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Router normally work as stateless .So you need to specify the rule for smtp traffic both direction .

Or else use Reflexive ACL.

BR,

Fahad

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Fahad has already noted, if you're going to use both an in and out ACL, you'll need to account for the traffic allowed in both direction.  Normally, the in and out ACE are just mirror entries, so for your example of:

in

permit tcp host E.F.G.H host I.J.K.L eq 25

out would be:

permit tcp host I.J.K.L eq 25 host E.F.G.H

Fahad also mentioned using a Reflexive ACL.  These will generate a stateful mirror ACE for the reverse traffic.  The reverse ACE will stay active for a short duration after seeing traffic that creates it and the it will time out and remove itself.  Normally you would only use one on a trusted side of the device for generated flows.  When used with a trusted side, the ACE often are made more generic, for example, any inside to outside HTTP flow will allow and ACE for the return traffic.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card