Views
Helpful
Replies

Activate controller for NM-1T3/E3

eavanmangan
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have just installed an NM-1T3/E3 in a cisco 2821. I need to activate this interface. Would anyone know the appropriate command?

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Did you make sure that your /30 address falls withing the appropriate range? (i.e. 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.252, as 192.168.1.4 /30 is the network address and 192.168.1.7 /30 is the broadcast). Sounds basic, but we all have miscalculated when subnetting.

HTH,

Dean

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

doliver
Level 1
Level 1

The NM-1T3/E3 does not show up in running config by default. You can do a 'show version' to ensure that the router recognizes the card. To activate the card you need at a minimum:

Router> enable

Router# configure terminal

Router(config)# card type t3

Router(config)# controller t3

You can also set the framing, lincode, and cable legnth as follows;

Router(config-controller)# framing {c-bit | m23}

Router(config-controller)# linecode {ami | b8zs | hdb3}

Router(config-controller)# cablelength

Router(config-controller)# clock source {internal | line}

These are the basics for activating the NM-1T3/E3.

HTH,

Dean

Hi Dean,

That seems to have worked, thanks so much!

However, I now have the problem that I cannot assign a /30 address to this interface. I have both ip classless and ip subnet-zero turned on, but still no luck.

Anyone come across this before?

Did you make sure that your /30 address falls withing the appropriate range? (i.e. 192.168.1.5 255.255.255.252, as 192.168.1.4 /30 is the network address and 192.168.1.7 /30 is the broadcast). Sounds basic, but we all have miscalculated when subnetting.

HTH,

Dean

Rather embarrassingly you are completely correct! I double-checked my calculations and was trying to enter the network address.

Many thanks for your help and advice!

Eavan

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card