Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding Layer3 Interface on a Router , over Cisco Packet Tracer

graphicdego
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ...

I have a question , how can I add an Layer3 interface on a router , cant figure it out in the modules .
For ex on the ISR 4321 , i can only add

switchports

on it any help with that ?
I tried looking up to the modules there but i cant find a channel with layer 3 or i need to add

switchport

and then go with some

cli

commands as no

switchport

and

ip routing

?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

". . . so there is no solution for adding Layer 3 ports to any of the routers over PT ?"

That might be the case.  I wouldn't know for sure unless I looked at all the modules being offered, which may vary based on PT version.

In the real world, often not many such modules available.  When offered, might only provide one or two routed ports. One reason for this, small ISRs might not (and often do not) have the performance capacity to run their

built-in

routed ports at full (sustained) speed even without adding more ports.

If you want more routed connections, without additional physical ports, in the real world, you can connect router to VLAN capable switch and use subinterfaces on router port with trunk port on switch.  (Don't know if PT supports that.)

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

graphicdego
Level 1
Level 1

Already tried the no

switchport

and

ip routing

on that interface , didn't work , any other suggestion ?

Basically, like you do on a L3 switch.

Place module port in VLAN of your choice.

Define SVI.

No actually i want a router to test OSPF in between . 
But i cant found how to add port on the router / only thing that i can found are

switchport 

And myb ISR is a multiswitch ( dont know based on a module ) but its set in the routers section . 

Many router module Ethernet ports are L2 only.  Some module Ethernet ports are L3.  If you name the specific module, we can tell which.

If L2, though, you need to define a SVI, which you can, for example, use OSPF with.

I understand that many routers have modules of EthernetPorts that are L2 . But non of the routers have Ethernet Ports that are L3 . Or if they exist can you help me with finding them . That was my question . 

` I need how to add L3 Ethernet Ports on the Router , where to search in modules and on which router bc apperantly there is different modules for every router on the Cisco Packet Tracer ` .

Your 4321 isn't the real ISR, it's a Packet Tracer 4321?  (Edit: BTW, I missed mention of PT in topic header.)

If so, PT doesn't offer all the hardware options the real device does, whatever it does offer often doesn't offer all the features of the real device, and what is offered might not work correctly (BTW, on the last point, much improvement over the years).

Yes it is PT , so there is no solution for adding Layer 3 ports to any of the routers over PT ? 
If not i will do it with Multilayer switch bc it has more interfaces for my OSPF Testing phase in education purpose .

". . . so there is no solution for adding Layer 3 ports to any of the routers over PT ?"

That might be the case.  I wouldn't know for sure unless I looked at all the modules being offered, which may vary based on PT version.

In the real world, often not many such modules available.  When offered, might only provide one or two routed ports. One reason for this, small ISRs might not (and often do not) have the performance capacity to run their

built-in

routed ports at full (sustained) speed even without adding more ports.

If you want more routed connections, without additional physical ports, in the real world, you can connect router to VLAN capable switch and use subinterfaces on router port with trunk port on switch.  (Don't know if PT supports that.)

Okay , that thats okay it was just for education purpose so i will do it with multilayer switch ( using no

switchport

command ) . 
Thanks for explanation a lot .

Lock  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card