cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding multiple WAN ip addresses on SRP 527w

philby4ilp
Level 1
Level 1

I have just installed an SRP 527w and it's basic operation is working fine.  However, the ISP has allocated (and set up routing for) a range of 16 additional static addresses to the link that I now wish to configure and use, but I am having problems.  Details are as follows (ip addresses are fictitious):

ISP's Gateway ip:  130.191.231.1

Default static ip address: 130.191.231.119

Netmask: 255.255.255.0

Extra ip range allocated: 243.59.236.208/28

Extra ip range Netmask:     255.255.255.240

From what I understand, these are added as subinterfaces which are bridged off the main WAN interface.  However, when I try to add a subinterface by specifying (say) I get an error when saving :

ip address: 243.59.236.210

netmask:    255.255.255.240

gateway:   130.191.231.1

The error states "IP Address and Gateway cannot be the same as the netmask".

Any idea what I am doing wrong?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It seems that you have bad mask received by your ISP.
I have experienced the same the other day.
Please get back your ISP with this error, you may receive correct IP range and mask and GW.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Latchum Naidu
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

It seems that you have bad mask received by your ISP.
I have experienced the same the other day.
Please get back your ISP with this error, you may receive correct IP range and mask and GW.

Please rate the helpfull posts.
Regards,
Naidu.

Thank you.  The isp has now told me to use the to address (broadcast address) of the ip range as the gateway (which I don't fully understand).  However, the router now accepts the subinterface configs without error.

Unfortunately while I no longer get the original error this is still not working.  I am able to add a subinterface using any of the the supplied ip addresses, netmask and gateway (the broadcast address), however when I do I have problems.  The following occurs (results received by continually pinging both the main ip address and the new subinterface address):

The new ip address becomes active for a few pings, then it dies for a few pings, then it comes alive again for 2 pings and then both the subinterface and the main PPPoA interface go not responding.  Then I need to delete the new subinteface and reboot the unit to get the main link to connect again.

I am really not sure of the config options for the subinterface, so I have assumed that it should be IPoA (to piggy-back on the PPPoA) with multiplexing left as LLC (the default), Qos left as UBR (the default) and VPI/VCI as Auto-detect (the default).  I have also left VLAN encapsulation disabled (the default).  I have tried some other settings, but they seem to have made no difference.

Any ideas?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card