Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding T1 Card to Existing Setup

Gentry
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We currently have bonded T1s 3M (this is the only option) in one of our sites and we're in the process of upgrading to 6M, 4-bonded T1s. This is a remote site and I will be visiting in the next few days. My questions are...

1. Can I install an additional T1 (VWIC2-2MFT-T1/E1) and add this to the current multilink even though the additional circuit is not provisioned yet?
  2. If yes to the #1 question, when the circuit is provisioned can we just plug the cable into the added T1 and will it work?
  3. Also, if yes to the #1 question, will it affect the current connection since there's nothing plugged into the added T1 card?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

I have not done this myself and so do not speak from experience. But I would expect that it should work. You should be able to install the new cards, with nothing connected to them, and configure the new cards, and add the new circuits to the multi-link. With nothing connected the new serial interfaces will be down and the multi-link will operate in the current way. When the new circuits are activated and connected to the new interfaces then the interfaces will come up, and they should be added to the multi-link bundle. I do not see how that would be different from having a multi circuit multi-link where some circuits go down and then come back up, and that certainly works.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, Richard. I was thinking the same but a little worried since this site is in the midwest and I'm on the west coast so any issue after I install the additional T1 will require another trip. I surely hope that's the case. 

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card