cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

addressing ( public or private ) is used when connecting two AS

CiscoClub
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering what type of addressing ( public or private ) is used when connecting two AS:

let us say i have a midsize company, i got a public ASN  and i want to run eBGP between my CE Router and the upstream Service Provider to advertise a network. in this case what type of ip addresses i use on the link(s) that connect me with the ISP(s)

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello

you will require public address when using two separate isps - as I stated you also need public ASN

the reason being is that they both need to advertise your address space to their own peers  which 9/10 would be a summary of the what they give you 

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Hello,

the short answer is: it is not your choice. You will get the (public) IP addresses from your ISP.

But why they waste two public IPs when the network on the link between the two AS is not advertised ?

Hello,

sorry for the confusion: which network do you want to advertise ? You only need a public IP address when you are advertising a public network...

Can you draw up what your setup looks like ?

i mean the ip addresses that set on the interfaces f0/0 in the attached photo, should they be public or private ??

Untitled.jpg

Hello,

AS24 and AS40 are public AS numbers, you only need those if you have Internet access. So you need to connect them with public IP addresses on the FastEthernet interfaces.

Hello

It all depends on if the ASN need to be a registered one - it doesn't have to be?

If you are going to connect to two different ISP's then your site would need to be registered between ASN 1-64511

However is you need to connect to a single ISP ( single or dual homed connection) then the ASN can be a private one - 64512 -65535 - Now any update to the ISP from your site will include its private ASN, thus the isp will remove this from the as-path it advertised to nay of it peers.

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Dear Paul;

Kindly note that my question was about the ip addresses ( and not the ASN number) needed to be assigned to the interfaces f0/0 on both side of the link that connect the two autonomous systems, those IPs, do they need to be public or not ?

Thanks in advance.

Hello

you will require public address when using two separate isps - as I stated you also need public ASN

the reason being is that they both need to advertise your address space to their own peers  which 9/10 would be a summary of the what they give you 

res

paul

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card