cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are there any "normal" routers on the market?

jaysoo
Level 1
Level 1

It seems like everything is "ISR" or "ASR" these days. I don't need or want Wi-Fi, voice, data, QoS, VPN, IPS etc.  I just want a router that can route between a LAN interface and 30Mb WAN interface, with nothing fancier than a single static route. I can't seem to find anything that isn't trying to do everything.

2 Replies 2

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

Well, what a router can truly accomplish is always a combination of its hardware capabilities and software features. If you want a plain router, you can either go for SOHO products that do not even aspire for any advanced features (so even if you decided later that you need some, you would be out of luck), or you can go for a router that has the ability to be flexible but you do not necessarily enable the feature sets providing you with the functions you do not want to use.

Granted, Cisco routers are expensive, and if you just want a plain router, the price/performance ratio can be rather bad - not because Cisco routers are not good but because you will not be using the advanced features that come along in the price, therereby diminishing the return value of your investment. In such a situation, you probably would be better off with other vendors and simpler routers. Cisco routers can always be dumbed down by running just the basic IOS feature set but the power still lies there, it is just a matter of unlocking it (using paid licenses, obviously), but if you never intend to tap into that power, it perhaps makes sense to look for other vendors. This is the necessary consequence of having unified operating system across all product lines - both an advantage and a disadvantage. In my personal opinion, Cisco never focused on market segments with rather simple requirements.

This is how I would personally put it.

Best regards,
Peter

Thanks for the reply. That's pretty much how I see it too, just thought I'd ask for other opinions.

I've been browsing Cisco's router offerings and it's all pretty overblown for what I need, but I still need something enterprise-ish. It seems the same with the ASA-X line, loads of features I don't need. Still, that's probably the direction we'll go.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card