cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are these two ip Pingable?

aannuupp1
Level 1
Level 1

Can i ping between L3 interface connected to SVI with l3 address?

Or, do i need a router on a stick for that??

7 Replies 7

from where you try ping ?

Hello,

With the picture provided and that setup, yes this should work. 
Technically that is a router on a stick with just one interface. As you create more VLAN interfaces you would create more “sticks or sub interfaces” on the router and you would make that switch link a trunk to allow all the VLANs.

Make sure to also do a no shut on the interface VLAN as it will be in the down state when it’s created.

-David

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No, it won't.  

Fa0/1 is configured for VLAN 10 but nothing is connected to port 1, therefore interface VLAN 10 is down.  

@Leo Laohoo  I believe that is incorrect. In the diagram the link connecting to the router is in fact in VLAN 10 causing it to be up. If the OP wanted more VLANs to communicate that link would need to be a trunk with all allowed VLANs and sub  interfaces on the router.

-David

You got a point there. 

But the thing with this drawing we have no clue as to the state of the port.  Sure, I can see a line drawn from the router to the switch.  What about layer 1?  Is the port even "up/up"?

I mean I know this is CCNA-level thinking but, does CCNA actually cover what types of cables to use?  So what cable is this?

Actually, I need to step a wee bit back.  

1.  Can the router ping it's own IP address or not?

2.  Can the switch ping it's own IP address or not?

To be frank, I kind of find it amusing that we are actually doing the assignment!  

Troubleshooting, what troubleshooting?  I just copied-n-paste the solution.  Win!

You're right. I did assume the port was up based on the command no shut on the physical interface and me telling the OP to no shut the SVI since they are shutdown by default. As far as cables I'm not sure how sims handle it but most modern network devices auto-detect the type of cable with MDI/MDIX and it doesn't matter (at least as much as it used to back when I was studying CCNA). Again, another assumption on the cabling working.

I guess I didn't think it to be an assignment as it was just a simple question of can they ping or is more configuration needed. But I don't catch things like that sometimes. Either way my next solution to the OP was going to be "Lab it up and see if it works!" 

That's one thing about PT labs and another thing about what happens in the wild.

If I, for example, apply what I see in the wild then this assignment is a fail.  

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card