Views
Helpful
Replies

AS Path access lists

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

Hi all

Can anyone tell me how AS path access lists work, if I had the below on my router, what would it do, do they go in sequence etc ?

ip as-path access-list 10 permit _2005_

ip as-path access-list 10 permit _2006_

ip as-path access-list 10 permit _2009

cheers

Carl

3 Replies 3

Hi Carl,

Like access-list; as-path list also works sequencially.

The sample as-path list is made in conjunction with regex

ip as-path access-list 10 permit _2005_

- This will permit any prefix which will have AS 2005 coming anywhere in between the AS-PATH. However it should not be the first and last AS in the AS-PATH of the prefix.

ip as-path access-list 10 permit _2006_

- Like above explaination, it will allow any prefix which have AS 2006 in between the AS_PATH

ip as-path access-list 10 permit _2009

- ( if the is no underscrore after 2009, it should generally closed with dollar sign $) will permit any route where AS 2009 is coming anywhere in AS-PATH, but not the first AS.

In case if it is followed by underscore, it can be followed by any other ASes.

If it is ending with $, AS 2009 has to be the last AS in the AS-PATH.

Regard,

Smitesh

Hi

I kind of get it

can you please give me another example in your own words, say for 4 routers in 4 different AS paths?

cheers

Carl

Hi,

to test AS-PATH ACLs you can use either sh ip bgp regexp and the same regular expression you used in your ACL or use sh ip bgp fliter-list 10.I think this is the best way to play with these and understand the regexps in BGP.

Regards.

Alain

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: