cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA to Router interfaces

Emil Naklicki
Level 1
Level 1

I have a simple network configuration  ISP==>Router==>ASA==>L3 Core. I am trying to add another link from my router to my ASA for DMZ and a secondary ISP. I do not want to add physical links as I would have to purchase another NIM for my router. In order to simply uses the current physical topology, do I simply create sub interfaces between my router and ASA? Example

Router Gi0/0.10 ==ASA Gi1/1.10 vlan 10

Router Gi0/0.20 ==ASA Gi1/1.10 vlan 20

Router Gi0/0.30 ==ASA Gi1/1.10 vlan 30

Is there any downsides and/or security concerns  to using sub-interfaces for this kind of topology. Also, is there any better way of handling this kind of topology without the need for additional physical ports?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

For sure, vlan and subinterface is a good and flexible solution.

If your asa supports context, you can consider to use a virtual context for the new link. In this way you can have a virtual dedicated firewall.
About security, you can use ACL on your subinterface.

Regards.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

For sure, vlan and subinterface is a good and flexible solution.

If your asa supports context, you can consider to use a virtual context for the new link. In this way you can have a virtual dedicated firewall.
About security, you can use ACL on your subinterface.

Regards.

Thanks for the quick reply. Context would be over kill for what I'm trying to do. I think the sub-interface route is the way I'll go.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card