cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASDM 7.8, step 4 of 12, Edit button not functional?

Hi!

We have bought a brand new ASA 5506-X.

I have connected a Windows 7 computer to it (also tested Windows 8.1 and 10, same issue).

I browse to https://192.168.1.1 and install ASDM.

I open ASDM and choose Startup Wizard.

I choose Modify existing configuration.

In step two I choose "ciscoasa" as Host name and choose a simple password.

In step 3 I keep DHCP and all other settings as default.

Now, In step 4 "Other interface configuration" I am supposed to be able to mark a row and click Edit (or double click a row) but when I click Edit, nothing happens, the Edit dialog doesn't appear! As mentioned earlier I have tried with three compuers and three different OS, same behaviour!

What am I doing wrong?

If I Click next to step 5 of 12 I have a likewise button but "Add" and that opens a dialog, so it shouldn't be an issue with pop-up" the dialog.

I have a document describing the Wizard steps and I follow it step by step and I have also watched configuration movies on Youtube for ASDM ... there they simply click Edit and dialog is shown?! So why doesn't it work for me?

So frustrating and I'm like stuck on "step 1"in configuring this router!

PLEASE HELP!!!

br

/Marcus

8 Replies 8

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Which interface are you selecting before you click edit?

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I have tried to select any of them, neither works.

See attached picture.

br

marcus

Marcus

Thank you for the screen shot. It is quite puzzling that the edit button does not work here. I do have a couple of thoughts:

- if you just go to the next step and continue to configure the remaining steps, would you then be able to use ASDM to configure the interfaces (but not necessarily using the Wizzard)?

- it might be worth trying a newer version of ASDM and see if it works better.

- there are some odd interactions between ASDM and java. You might try different version of java.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

I've got exactly the same problem.

Tried two different versions of java and even different OSs (Windows and Linux).

Tried updating ASDM to the latest (7.9(2)) and it's exactly the same.

Can anyone suggest a combination of ASDM and java that actually works?

Thanks

Ian McCoubrey
Level 1
Level 1

Did you ever find a solution for this issue? I have the same problem, and as well as the "Edit" not working the wizard won't complete without throwing errors.

No!

I had to hire a real expensive consultant to finalize configuration, this is bad and I will never recommend small businesses to buy Cisco again.

Worth mentioning, the consultant couldn't get the wizard to work either but had to use CLI (user friendly, NOOOT), and then the normal GUI ... to get things to work.

The small business D-Link router I have recommended before, is much more user friendly and bug free.

br

/MH

shahidaliabbasi
Level 1
Level 1

If you cant Edit the interfaces on the main Dashboard, then here's the trick:

Startup Wizard >Launch Startup Wizard >Modify existing Configuration >Next >Next. Here we can edit the Interfaces....Good Night

Or return the device and buy another brand, that's what we did an it worked surprisingly well! Never Cisco again.

But thanks for your input and time spent!

Br Marcus

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card