cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Architecture and Troubleshooting Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Architecture and troubleshooting Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers with Hitesh KumarWith Hitesh Kumar

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about architecture and packet capture on Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers with Cisco expert Hitesh Kumar. Learn about the Cisco ASR 1000 Series--a class of mid-range routers offering convergence of network services on highly scalable routing platforms. The Cisco ASR 1000 Series delivers superior resiliency with intelligent services and modularity to meet the long-term needs of both enterprise and service provider applications.

Hitesh Kumar is a customer support engineer in the High Touch Technical Services team at Cisco specializing in routing protocols. He has been supporting major service providers and enterprise customers in routing, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), Multicast, and Layer 2 Virtual Private Network (L2VPN) issues on Routing platforms for more than three years. He has more than six years of experience in the IT industry and holds a CCIE certification in Service (#38757).

Remember to use the rating system to let Hitesh know if you have received an adequate response.

Hitesh might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Network Infrastructure > WAN, Routing and Switching subcommunity shortly after the event.This event lasts through Tuesday April 26, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other Cisco Support Community members.

33 Replies 33

tbleise
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Hitesh,

I have a question on QoS on ASR 1001.

Within a QoS policy-map configuration the "queue-limit" can be set on ASR 1001 routers, e.g.

policy-map QOS_OUT

class CLASS1

bandwidth 1500

queue-limit 250 packets

My question is: what is the assumed packet size when the queue size is configured as "number of packets" on ASR 1001 routers? On the Cisco 7600 platform it is 256 bytes. For example a 1500 bytes packet uses 6 “packets” of the queue resources. Is it the same on ASR 1001 routers? Is this value depending on the IOS-XE version that the ASR 1001 runs?

I have the same question for ISR G1 and G2 routers. Can you give me a hint whom I could ask that?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Thorsten

Hello Tbleise

The ASR1k router uses 50 ms of 1500-byte packets but never less than 64 packets.

Below is a good CCO link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/qos_conmgt/configuration/xe-3s/asr1000/qos-conmgt-qdepth.html

Kindly go through it.

Regards

Hitesh

Hello Hitesh,

thank you for your reply. I went through the documentation. However, it is still not clear what size of a packet they refer to when the queue-limit is configured with the unit "packets". As I wrote the Cisco 7600 can only store 256 bytes per "packet unit". This has considerable impact on the value that needs to be configured under each class.

Thanks again!

Thorsten

Hello. One more question we use asr1k as bras with isg. some bras have

NAME: "module R0", DESCR: "Cisco ASR1000 Route Processor 2"

PID: ASR1000-RP2       , VID: V01, SN: *************

_v01_

and one newest have

NAME: "module R0", DESCR: "Cisco ASR1000 Route Processor 2"

PID: ASR1000-RP2       , VID: V03, SN: *************

when we install bras with V03 RP in production, we see that there is more memory free than on old (3.3gb vs 0.4gb). first we think that ISG use ESP memory (2 old bras have esp20, new one have esp40), but after changing esp20 to esp40 free (and total) memory didn't increased. Then we replace RP (from V01 to V03) and total memory increased.

sh ver

cisco ASR1006 (RP2) processor with 4215007K/6147K bytes of memory.

8388608K bytes of physical memory.

(this is V01 RP)

sh ver

cisco ASR1004 (RP2) processor with 4238423K/6147K bytes of memory.

8388608K bytes of physical memory.

(this is V03 RP)

as i see in specs RP2 have 8Gb ram by default, but can be increased to 16Gb (we didn't buy a memory).

Question: What is a different between RP2 with VID 01 and 03 ?

p.s. we use same software on all bras.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card