Views
Helpful
Replies

ASM Multicast

Ab26
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have a few questions about multicasting, that I've struggled to find answers for. We’ve successfully set up PIM ASM, but I’ve been advised to configure MDT default and data. However, I couldn't found any info if are really needed on ASM.
When I issue the "show ip mroute" command, I don’t see any of these mdt. I only see the multicast group configured by our team, which is 239.10.10.X.
And when I issue "sh ip pim mdt" no output comes

vrf definition Multicast_VRF
address-family ipv4
mdt default 235.5.0.0
mdt data 235.5.1.0 0.0.0.255 threshold 100

Additionally, I have a few more questions and would appreciate any assistance:
Is there a limit on the number of PIM neighbors a Cisco router can have?
When can I expect to see output from the "show ip mroute" command on routers with multicast sources or receivers? Will there be output if no multicast sources or receivers are connected to the router?

1 Reply 1

Harold Ritter
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi @Ab26 ,

You need to deploy multicast in the VRF for the customer and also for the global routing table in the core.

When I issue the "show ip mroute" command, I don’t see any of these mdt. I only see the multicast group   > configured by our team, which is 239.10.10.X.

Have you configured the BGP address family ipv4 mdt?

Is there a limit on the number of PIM neighbors a Cisco router can have?

There is certainly a limit, but no hard limit that I know of.

> When can I expect to see output from the "show ip mroute" command on routers with multicast sources or > receivers? Will there be output if no multicast sources or receivers are connected to the router?

In the default multicast routing table, you should at least see the multicast address for the default MDT.

In the VRF multicast routing table, you should only see the multicast addresses if there are senders and/or receivers.

Regards, 

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México