cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASN BGP AWS and On Premise same IP Range

ti.infra
Level 1
Level 1

Hello everyone, its my first post so sorry if i make some mistake.

I have a big doubt about AS and BGP, i have ASN 263916 in on premise site with IP Address 200.9.144/24 and my question is. Its would be possible use the same ASN number and same public IP network in both locations?

Why?

I have a trackers system and i would like to make redundancy of my service, my service like 200.9.144.10 on AWS and 200.9.144.11 on premise, i know that the internet not propagate an ip range that the mask be less /24.

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

It does not work to try to provide redundancy by having the same IP subnet/network in 2 different places. If you attempt to implement what you describe then the subnet/network will appear to be in 2 different places. Depending on how it is advertised some people will go to the server at AWS and some people may go to the server in your network. But if there is a problem with the server in your network there is not anything that would have the people who were using your server go to AWS instead.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Many thanks, so to provide redundancy i should have two distincts networks /24?

The easiest and best way to provide redundancy with 2 physical sites would be to have 2 sets of IP addresses. The alternative might be to have some private connection (GRE tunnel or something similar) to get traffic between the sites. But I don't see how you could do that with AWS.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card