cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1001-x upgrade path

netspazz
Level 1
Level 1

Looking at the process to upgrade an ASR 1001-x, currently 16.9.2. Doing some research this looks to be not the old way of uploading the bin, changing the boot var and performing a reload. I have a few questions.

1. the document shows a "subpackage" install. Is this they path that must be taken? uploading the bin then expanding all the packages? this seams to be a much more intense process then the old way.

2. currently my boot var shows nothing configured, and nothing for the standby boot var. is this normal? I do see the .bin file sitting on the bootflash.

3. I am running redundancy, sso, so I believe this is normal for an upgrade.

thanks for any help.

23 Replies 23

Hello Leo,

Thanks for the wise words, will keep them in mind during this and future upgrades.

1. I do not see any option to download ROMMON version 16.12(2r) in Cisco downloads section for ASR 1001-X. The only 16.X ROMMON version currently available for ASR 1001-X is 16.9(4R). I believe i will have to keep the ROMMON as it is for now, or if you suggest otherwise.

2. To sum it up, i will be using below commands/steps during the upgrade using Install mode after copying the IOS image to flash. Please let me know if they look fine to you and should be sufficient to perform the task.

Step a. Expand OS:

request platform software package expand file bootflash:asr1001x-universalk9.16.12.05.SPA.bin over verb

Step b. Install OS and activate:

install add file bootflash:asr1001x-universalk9.16.12.05.SPA.bin activate commit

Step c. Configure Boot variables:(Currently there is no boot variable set, as this is the first time we are upgrading the devices after installation)

conf t
boot system flash bootflash:packages.conf
boot system flash bootflash:asr1001x-universalk9.16.09.02.SPA.bin
end
wr

Step d. Reboot the appliance.

Step e. Cleanup bootflash after upgrade goes successful:

request platform software package clean

------------

Thanks in advance.

@Simba_NetEngg wrote:

request platform software package expand file bootflash:asr1001x-universalk9.16.12.05.SPA.bin over verb

request platform software package clean

My sincerest apologies.  This command is only compatible on the 9300.  Any other appliances and this command is incompatible.  
I have edited my response(s) to the correct commands.  

16.9(4r) is fine.

Hello Leo,

Noted and understood so far.

Just one more concern at this moment before i book the maintenance window.

Please can you confirm if the "packages.conf" should come in the boot variables in place of the IOS file itself - "asr1001x-universalk9.16.12.05.SPA.bin". Asking because i am not sure how packages.conf will be created if we are not running the expand command on asr1001x-universalk9.16.12.05.SPA.bin. Will it be generated as a result of the install and activate command?

Thanks in advance.

@Simba_NetEngg wrote:

Will it be generated as a result of the install and activate command?

Yes and no.  
Yes, the "packages.conf" will be created every time the firmware gets unpacked. 

I have seen where the script throws up an error (at the end of the process) and "refuses" to create the file.  It will, however, create a new file called "asr1001x-universalk9.16.12.05.SPA.conf".  If this is the case, then rename that file to "packages.conf" is the fix.  

Welp, then i guess we will know this during the upgrade itself.

Will let you know how it goes. 

Thanks for all the help!

Hey Leo!

This post was very helpful...I do have a question for you I saw a previous post of yours: what's the difference between:

request platform software package expand file bootflash:asr1001x-universalk9.16.12.03.SPA.bin over verb

and 

install add file bootflash:IOS-XE_FILENAME.bin activate commit

I used the latter to successfully upgrade our ASR 1001 HX router. So thanks a ton!

Also, where you list:

conf t
no boot system flash bootflash:<OLD IOS>
boot system flash bootflash:<OLD IOS>
end
wr

Can I point to the new IOS.bin file in case the packages.conf doesn't load correctly? My current boot variable is the following:

bootvariable = bootflash:/packages.conf,1; bootflash:/asr1000-universalk9.16.06.04.SPA.bin,1;

You were tremendously helpful with 16.12.05 to .06 upgrade. I successfully upgraded my 9300's to 16.12.06 and am running the "sh platform software status control-processor br"

@TW80CJ5 wrote:

request platform software package expand file bootflash:asr1001x-universalk9.16.12.03.SPA.bin over verb

The router will not reboot after this command is entered. 

@TW80CJ5 wrote:

install add file bootflash:IOS-XE_FILENAME.bin activate commit

Reboots the router.

Please refer to Cisco ISR & ASR 1k Routers: IOS-XE/Firmware Upgrade (Install Mode)

hi leo,

this is really helpful! you'll need a lot of digging just to find the compatible IOS-XE and ROMMON and the "new" way to do the upgrade.

just a question on step #4, is the "install add file bootflash" part of a macro command that will automatically add/change the boot variable to "packages.conf"? or this needs to be done manually?

also, do you really need to configure the boot variable with "new" packages.conf and "old" bootflash:<OLD IOS> together?

i thought this is an "install" mode of upgrade?

boot system flash bootflash:<OLD IOS>

TW80CJ5
Level 3
Level 3

Hey Johnlloyd....

I manually changed the boot variable to packages.conf and then the "old ios" in case the packages got corrupt and I wanted to treat it like a fall back...Honestly, I am not sure if it works that way, but it does help give me the warm and fuzzies.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card