cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1002 and HSRP not supported by Cisco?

david.tran
Level 4
Level 4

I just received very disturbing new from Cisco TAC.

I have a pair of physical ASR 1002 routers, called ASR-1 and ASR-2.  I setup HSRP on both ASR-1 and ASR-2 on both g0/0/0 and g0/0/1 interfaces, nothing complicated, just straight forward HSRP.

Now Cisco TAC told me that HSRP is NOT supported between physical ASR routers.  WTF!

Furthermore, they told me that HSRP only supported within a single ASR because of multiple routed processors.  In other words, you can setup HSRP with a single physical ASR but not with two physical ASR routers.

Who is the genius from Cisco that come up with this stupid idea that HSRP can not supported with two physical ASR routers? 

8 Replies 8

Reza Sharifi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If HSRP is not supported, try VRRP.  VRRP is standard anyway.

HTH

mavespig
Level 3
Level 3

Hi David, as far as I know, ASR1k does not support HSRP on BDI interfaces.

It should work fine on main interfaces without BDI.

What is your TAC SR? Are you using BDI interfaces?

I think you can 'standby use-bia' on BDI interface as workaround.

There is an internal enhancement bug to have this feature supported, but so far there have not been requests from customers to have this implemented.

If this is the issue you are having, and the workaround does not work, perhaps you can contact your local Cisco Account Team. They can create a business case and ask the BU to work on the enhancement bug.

Hope this helps

Marco

Talha Ansari
Level 1
Level 1

Furthermore, they told me that HSRP only supported within a single ASR because of multiple routed processors.  In other words, you can setup HSRP with a single physical ASR but not with two physical ASR routers.

Hi David,

I failed to understand the above statement. HSRP is configured when we need physical device redundancy... hence more than one device is a must for HSRP. Why would someone configure HSRP on a single device?

I believe HSRP must be supported on ASR routers... its a series of very powerfull routers. Are you trying to use some specific feature related to HSRP that is not supported on your IOS?

Regards,

Talha

The SR I have with TAC is SR 619854323.

According to the TAC engineer by the name of Guru, HSRP is NOT supported by physical ASR routers.  HSRP is supported within a single ASR router.  The TAC engineer provided me witht this link: 

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/asr1000/configuration/guide/chassis/High_Availability.html

However, this link says nothing about HSRP support between physical ASR routers

By the way, my configuration is a very simple one:

ASR#1

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/2

description internal

ip address 10.6.71.2 255.255.255.0

no ip unreachables

ip flow ingress

ip tcp adjust-mss 1280

load-interval 30

negotiation auto

standby version 2

standby 20 ip 10.6.71.1

standby 20 priority 110

standby 20 preempt

standby 20 authentication cciesec

standby 20 name cciesec

standby 20 track 2 decrement 10

ASR#2

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/2

description internal

ip address 10.6.71.3 255.255.255.0

no ip unreachables

ip flow ingress

ip tcp adjust-mss 1280

load-interval 30

negotiation auto

standby version 2

standby 20 ip 10.6.71.1

standby 20 priority 105

standby 20 preempt

standby 20 authentication cciesec

standby 20 name cciesec

standby 20 track 2 decrement 10

Well, according to TAC, this configuration is NOT supported between two (2) physical ASR routers

Hi David,

So when you configured the commands as mentioned what result do you get and did you try with HSRP ver 1?

ASR 1 must become active as per the configuration. Does your HSRP fail if you configure it without authentication, preemption? Can you post "show ver", "show standby" and ping results between two routers.

Talha

My HSRP is working fine but Cisco TAC told me that the configuration is NOT supported by Cisco TAC

Hi David,

looking at the case, it seems that there has been some misunderstanding, the current engineer confirmed that the configuration is supported.

Cheers

Marco

yes, after multiple escalations to my cisco account rep and they in turned escalated within TAC, the same engineer who told me that HSRP is NOT supported now told me that it IS supported.  Go figure. 

Now we have two different issues.  I want to know if my VPN issue on the 3845 ISR routers running IOS 12.4(24)T6 is something I will see in the ASR platforms since I don't have any ASR to test in my lab, I am running ASR in production.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card