cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR 1002-HX console port

brian.k.short
Level 1
Level 1

I have an ASR 1002-HX that I can't access the console on. I have been told that there is no config on the box.

When I do a reboot, nothing shows up on the console port.

Status LED is green

Critical LED is RED. One interface appears to have been configured but nothing is plugged in. The interface light is amber.

I get IOS prompt on AUX but no enable has been configured. This shows me the console cable itself is good and that the router reboots.

I have tried many different baud rates, all that SecureCRT supports, with closing and restarting the session after each change.

My suspicion  is somebody changed the config register in some way that prevents it from acknowledging the console.

Is there some way of resetting the config register without using the console? Some type of hardware based reset on an ASR 1002-HX?

6 Replies 6

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

here is the isntallation guide :

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001HX_1002HX/b_ASR1001HX-1002HX_HIG/b_ASR1001HX-1002HX_HIG_chapter_0101.html

here is diagnosis steps :

1. Make sure your console cable working and teted.

2. check the Baud rate and settings as per above document ( also try Putty just to verify)

BB

***** Rate All Helpful Responses *****

How to Ask The Cisco Community for Help

As stated, the console cable worked on the AUX port. It also works on other Cisco devices. That removes the cable from the list of suspects.

How do I check the console port settings if I cannot gain access to the console, can't access it through telnet or SSH and can't login through the AUX? Is there some way of resetting the config register via hardware?

To clarify, I get router> prompt on AUX (enable has not been set) showing the console cable is good. No login services are running. Rebooting the router gives me no output over the console port. Show ip int brief under the router> prompt shows no ip interfaces are configured.

Thank you for the clarification.  I was referening the baudrate at Putty or SecureCRT side

please do refer you have correct cables to connect console  (Connecting Cables - section)

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/install/guide/1001HX_1002HX/b_ASR1001HX-1002HX_HIG/b_ASR1001HX-1002HX_HIG_chapter_0100.html

BB

It is a light blue USB to RJ45 cable and as previously stated works both on the AUX port of the ASR and other Cisco devices. I was able to go from an ASA which worked to the ASR which did not work then back where it did work again.

I don’t believe the cable is bad in that it works on my ASA, a Catalyst switch, a 3945 router but not that ASR.

Unless there is a difference beween the ASR console and these other devices, which I would doubt.

we can understand that your cable working ok and it was confirmed from other devices.

In normal conditions brand new router, as soon as you plug the cable to RJ45 Console port and connect to PC.

When you Turn on you can see the Router booting mesasges, this confirms all working, (but your case it was not, so hence this post)

we only go with diagnosis based on your input, since we are not physically present there witht the device.

1. what happends when you see AUX port router >   ( press enter, did the input takes ?) by typing enable ?

2. Turn Off the device and connect back Console port Turn ON again ( i know you might have tried couple of times this i guess).

Personally installed ISR, it straight forward with brand new one.

BB

The ASR console port is different from the ASA, ISR and probably other console ports. Even though the blue USB to RJ-45 cable worked on the ISR and ASA, it did not work on the ASR. Using an older DB-9 to RJ-45 worked in conjunction with a USB to DB-9.

Consider this closed.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card