Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1001-(H)X upgrade and release notes clarifficaton

tomas13
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys,

I am planning to upgrade two routers ASR1001-X and ASR1001-HX. current version is XE Version 17.03.05, and ROM: 17.3(1r) on both. I am planning to upgrade to 17.09.05a both routers. currently I have boot set in bundle mode and want to continue in bundle mode:

# sh boot
BOOT variable = bootflash:asr1000-universalk9_noli.17.03.05.SPA.bin,1;bootflash:asr1000-universalk9_noli.16.12.06.SPA.bin,1;
CONFIG_FILE variable does not exist
BOOTLDR variable does not exist
Configuration register is 0x3922

Standby not ready to show bootvar

#

and I would like to upgrade also in bundle this time but when reading release notes I am a bit confused. here is the page:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/release/notes/xe-17-9/asr1000-rel-notes-xe-17-9.html
and the statements:

Starting from IOS XE 17.5, the following consolidated platforms (or with dual IOSd) will move to monolith packaging and will not enable upgrade/downgrade using separate packages:

• ASR 1001-X

• ASR 1001-HX

• ASR1002-X

• ASR 1002-HX

Instead, use the install add file bootflash:<file name> activate commit command to upgrade using a single image that combines all the separate packages improves the boot time.

ok, so "monolith packaging and will not enable upgrade/downgrade using separate packages" I understand that the install mode will be not supported because of separate packages? but the next statement "Instead, use the install add file bootflash:<file name> activate commit" is referring to install mode. nowhere is mentioned the bundle mode. and when cisco is saying only about install mode may I upgrade with bundle mode instead?

Thank you!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello
You can use bundle mode, its basically booting the "OLD way = monolithic) using the xxx.bin file , so the bootvar reads the xxx.bin file and has to extract the packages in side it into ram to boot.

So bundle mode upgrade would be to copy the xxx.bin file into flash, change the bootvar to the new x.x.x.bin file and reload  the rtr.

Example bundle mode upgrade
copy tftp|usb flash:xxxx.bin
no boot system
boot system  flash xxxx.bin
show bootvar
wr
reload

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the communityā€™s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Hello
You can use bundle mode, its basically booting the "OLD way = monolithic) using the xxx.bin file , so the bootvar reads the xxx.bin file and has to extract the packages in side it into ram to boot.

So bundle mode upgrade would be to copy the xxx.bin file into flash, change the bootvar to the new x.x.x.bin file and reload  the rtr.

Example bundle mode upgrade
copy tftp|usb flash:xxxx.bin
no boot system
boot system  flash xxxx.bin
show bootvar
wr
reload

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the communityā€™s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

marce1000
VIP
VIP

- Ref : https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/routers/asr1000/software/configuration/xe-17/asr1000-sw-config-xe-17/m_install_issu.html#con_1070579
  >...
  >Auto upgrade works in subpackage mode only. If the device is in bundle mode, neither does auto upgrade work, nor can you execute the install autoupgrade command. If a route processor with bundle boot image is added to a modular device, the route processor is converted to install mode to synchronize with the active RP.

- Remarks like this make me conclude that converting to install mode is advisable , 

M.

-- Each morning when I wake up and look into the mirror I always say ' Why am I so brilliant ? '
    When the mirror will then always repond to me with ' The only thing that exceeds your brilliance is your beauty! '
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card