Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1001-X internet connections and RAM capcaity

Bazoka
Level 1
Level 1

ears,

Kindly advise, Is 8G RAM enough for the ASR1001-X router with two internet connections and 1000 users?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on how you use the router.

For example, if you take full Internet tables, both IPv4 and IPv6, from both Internet connections that will require lots of RAM - I'm not up on current Internet table sizes, but 8G might be insufficient for this example.

Or, if you're running some like PfR, and tracking performance per destination, internal SLA tables will start to consume lots of RAM.

Conversely, though, if your just passing traffic through your router, often doesn't much matter whether there 1 user, 1,000 users or 1 million users, for RAM usage.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The most important question is:  How big is the WAN link?

Do not skimp on the DRAM.  

Make sure to upgrade it to the "max".

Internet bandwidth on all links 200M

Can you please advise based on what we increase the DRAM size?

My mistake. 
I have forgotten that the 1000-X DRAM and flash could not be upgraded any further.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depends on how you use the router.

For example, if you take full Internet tables, both IPv4 and IPv6, from both Internet connections that will require lots of RAM - I'm not up on current Internet table sizes, but 8G might be insufficient for this example.

Or, if you're running some like PfR, and tracking performance per destination, internal SLA tables will start to consume lots of RAM.

Conversely, though, if your just passing traffic through your router, often doesn't much matter whether there 1 user, 1,000 users or 1 million users, for RAM usage.

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card