Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1001-X througput

moscoms.ru
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all.

What pps can I get with ASR1001-X with basic license througput 2.5Gbps for 64, 512, 1500 bytes frames only in routing mode (no FW, NAT, IPSec, VPLS, OTV etc)?

With regards.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In theory (excluding crypto stuff), you should obtain whatever PPS rate is needed to provide 2.5 Gbps throughput, for the packet sizes being used, regardless of features being used.

Unlike earlier Cisco routers, the ASR (and ISR 4 K) series, (in theory) have the PPS capacity to provide their rated (aggregate) bandwidth throughput regardless of their configuration (again excluding crypto) but conversely the device limits itself to its bandwidth capacity rating when it actually has excess capacity.

Oh, and regarding your later post, Cisco is generally not known as a price/performance leader. I.e. other vendors devices very often offer better price/performance. Cisco equipment, though, often is a feature leader and/or their equipment often functions correctly (and when it doesn't, they usually will fix it).

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Mark Malone
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Good comparison doc attached there on ISR/ASR capabilities and teh data sheet below

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/collateral/routers/asr-1000-series-aggregation-services-routers/datasheet-c78-731632.html

Thanks for reply Mark. But I still can't get pps. Be accurate, I can't figure out what exactly pps I'll get having 2.5Gbps license.
I've an assumption that if 2.5 is a constant value, than for 64 byte I'll get 2500000000/512~4.8Mpps, and, for example,for 1518 byte packet ~ 205.8 kpps. And this is not good in compare with Huawei AR2240 (SRU100E) which is 4.5 times cheaper but can forward 64-byte packets at 12 Mpps.

This doc states this 1001x model can do 30 million PPS but its for a specific 1001-HX model , im looking at some other docs i have , as i have 1001xs it may have more specifc answer for the standard 1001-x , theres also live help chat on the website when your looking at models ,they may have it if not in the docs

https://communities.cisco.com/community/technology/enterprise_networks/enterprise_routing/blog/2016/07/06/introducing-the-most-powerful-compact-service-router-asr1001-hx

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
In theory (excluding crypto stuff), you should obtain whatever PPS rate is needed to provide 2.5 Gbps throughput, for the packet sizes being used, regardless of features being used.

Unlike earlier Cisco routers, the ASR (and ISR 4 K) series, (in theory) have the PPS capacity to provide their rated (aggregate) bandwidth throughput regardless of their configuration (again excluding crypto) but conversely the device limits itself to its bandwidth capacity rating when it actually has excess capacity.

Oh, and regarding your later post, Cisco is generally not known as a price/performance leader. I.e. other vendors devices very often offer better price/performance. Cisco equipment, though, often is a feature leader and/or their equipment often functions correctly (and when it doesn't, they usually will fix it).
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card