Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1002 - Factory reset or password

Tristan42
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I wan't to do a factory reset, but there is no reset button on the ASR1002 and the ctrl+break ctrl+pause and others does not work.

When i power on the ASR i have only 20s before IOS boot :

System Bootstrap, Version 15.3(3r)S, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 2013 by cisco Systems, Inc.

Current image running: Boot ROM1
Last reset cause: PowerOn
Last reset at: Thu Jan 17 11:35:15 UTC 2019
ASR1002-RP1 platform with 4194303 Kbytes of main memory
Warning: filesystem is not clean
Located asr1000rp1-ipbase.03.04.00.S.151-3.S.bin
Image size 289083696 inode num 12, bks cnt 70578 blk size 8*512
####################
Boot image size = 289083696 (0x113b1130) bytes
Package header rev 0 structure detected
Calculating SHA-1 hash...done
validate_package: SHA-1 hash:
calculated dffcd072:2adb1c79:f23e13f7:8c353125:47fc3ff6
expected dffcd072:2adb1c79:f23e13f7:8c353125:47fc3ff6
Image validated

I can't login to the device since a really bad write memory...

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Am I correct in understanding that you power cycle the router and attempt to send a break but the break is not effective? If so I have a couple questions and a suggestion. Have you successfully used this PC with this emulator and this cable to connect to the console before? What terminal emulator are you using? Are you sure that it is properly set up to send a break to the router? 

I have sometimes used this technique when having problems in sending a break during the boot process.

- connect to the console port

- set the speed in the emulator to 300 (yes this is a very very slow speed)

- power cycle the router

- wait long enough to be sure that the router has been able to go through its boot process

- change the emulator back to the normal speed

- hopefully you will be in rommon

Usually when the emulator is running at such low speed the signal that it is sending looks like a break signal to the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Am I correct in understanding that you power cycle the router and attempt to send a break but the break is not effective? If so I have a couple questions and a suggestion. Have you successfully used this PC with this emulator and this cable to connect to the console before? What terminal emulator are you using? Are you sure that it is properly set up to send a break to the router? 

I have sometimes used this technique when having problems in sending a break during the boot process.

- connect to the console port

- set the speed in the emulator to 300 (yes this is a very very slow speed)

- power cycle the router

- wait long enough to be sure that the router has been able to go through its boot process

- change the emulator back to the normal speed

- hopefully you will be in rommon

Usually when the emulator is running at such low speed the signal that it is sending looks like a break signal to the router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Richard,

Your solution worked and honestly i didn't think this would work :)

Thank you very much.

I am happy to have your confirmation that my solution did work. I agree that this solution is not intuitive and seems quite strange. But I have had success with it and am glad to know that it also worked for you. Thank you for marking this question as solved. This will help other participants in the community to identify discussions which have helpful information. This is an uncommon situation and I believe that some participants may find it quite helpful. This community is an excellent place to ask questions and to learn about networking. I hope to see you continue to be active in the community.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

balaji.bandi
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card