Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM problem with various models

ronald.tuns
Level 1
Level 1

Hi everyone,

I'm having a problem with various Cisco ADSL modems and one specific ISP. The ISP is changing their ATM network to Ethernet and ever since the Cisco routers regularly lose their connection. Only resetting the modem brings the line back. According to the ISP this is a known problem with Cisco modems and they have sent an example config to configure the ATM.

We have implemented this config, but the problem is still there. Since the problem does not occur with modems from other brands (Alcatel and even Linksys!) the ISP lays the responsibility with us, being the supplier of the modem.

According to the ISP oam PVC managed causes the problem, only this is already disabled in our configs.

I have enabled ATM debugging on one router (887 ISR) and this error occurs repeatedly:

cisco ATM_UCC_GetChannelHandler_PQ2CE: wrong ChannelCode

Any idea what this could mean ?

Thanks for any help !

Regards,

Ronald Tuns

25 Replies 25

Hi Ronald,

Can you confirm if version 15.0(1)M7 resolved the problem for you?  We're seeing similar odd goings on.

Cheers

Hi,

We have used firmware c880data-universalk9-mz.150-1.M7.bin with other customers, but that did not improve things. The only working solution so far is to have the ISP lower the bandwidth. We have 3 customers that have a stable line after a bandwidth downgrade.

According to the ISP, the line is somewhat faulty with the maximum bandwidth profile. Still strange that routers from other vendors can keep the line stable..

Anyone has any update on that.

we are getting the same issues on one of our 887W router.

heaps of

ATM_UCC_GetChannelHandler_PQ2CE: wrong ChannelCode

errors when we do a debug atm errors

(so much debug that it is crashing the router)

p.s we are using the ios 152.1

In our case it was the bug CSCtq05004 that was causing the problem, which has been fixed in these versions so far -

Fixed-In icon_info.gif

15.1(4)M1.3

15.2(1.5)T

15.1(1)T3.6

15.0(1)M6.8

15.1(3)T1.6

12.4(24)T6

Using 15.0(1)M7 has resolved the problem so far for us.

downgrading from

c880data-universalk9-mz.152-1.T.bin

to

c880data-universalk9-mz.151-4.M1.bin

seams to have make the adsl connection much more stable for us. thanks

I can confirm that my issue is fixed in 15.1(4)M2 and 15.0(1)M7. From reading the details, CSCtq05004 doesn't quite look like the problem I had but I guess it's possible that this was another manifestation of the same issue.

I have been experiencing similar issues with my 887. My line keeps dropping. I have to reset the router about 3 or 4 times a day. When its up it runs ok but just keeps falling over. I have not seen the "ATM_UCC_GetChannelHandler_PQ2CE: wrong ChannelCode" error but I do get the following output constantly id I do a "debug atm events"

Oct 11 16:35:10.179: DSL(ATM0): Sent extended command 0xC

Oct 11 16:35:10.423: DSL(ATM0): ext response 0xF received, data size 49

Oct 11 16:35:10.423: DSL(ATM0): ADSL_GET_MANAGEMENT_COUNTERS_EXT - data length = 49

Oct 11 16:35:10.423: DSL(ATM0): ADSL_GET_MANAGEMENT_COUNTERS_EXT - data length = 49

I have tried several firmware versions. I began running firmware 4.0.223 the other day which did not help. I have upgraded to 151-4.M2 today. Fingers crossed this might do the trick.

CSCtq05004 isn't associated with line drops. It's a bug in the ATM code, which when it occurs, the ATM stack is unuseable until the router is rebooted.

A strong hint that this is your problem is when ATM0.1 or Dialier0 goes permanently "Down" even though ATM0 has remained up and perfectly running.

Thanks for the explanation, I got my hopes up a bit there thinking my problems were over

I'm a little confused by that question... CSCtq05004 although the details aren't fantastic, is an ATM bug, and as far as I know, is also the only bug we're talking about here, which as been fixed in the versions you previously mentioned.

?

Yes, it wasn't particularly well worded!  We're having problems similar to CSCtq05004 with the dialer going down but ATM staying up, and only a reload will fix it.  Versions 15.0(1)M7 & 15.1(4)M2 fix CSCtq05004 but not this other similar issue, so far only 15.2(1)T1 seems to resolve both.  So I suspect there's another ATM bug floating about but I can't find a bug number for it.

I'll remove my original post.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card