Views
Helpful
Replies

backup (vpn) connection for MPLS

edward.borst
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Currently we have a managed mpls network to our branch offices.

For this we want to create a backup link via VPN.

The MPLS is outsourced, and the routers are not maintained by us.

the question is what is a good design for this?

I'm thinking of building a vpn between our own routers, but I'm struggeling what best option is.

Some help is needed.

Attached I have a very simple diagram.

Thanks,

Edward

4 Replies 4

Hello Edward,

You havnt mentioned how your are connecting to the PE routers.- statically or IGP/BGP?

The vpn backup link is a good idea, however given that your primary will want to be over the mpls cloud, you will have to consult with your provider before any implementation, As there is a good chance of  using this newly created vpn link  as the primary path.

Your provider may need to apply a sham link connection on their PE routers so you can manipulate your traffic path and then it does indeed cross the mpls instead of the newly created vpn backup link.

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I forgot to tell that!

Currently all routes are static. no bgp is used on our site.

Regards,

Edward

Hello Edward,

One possible solution then would be to use additional static's with admin distances and object-tracking

res

Paul

Please don't forget to rate any posts that have been helpful.

Thanks.

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

edward.borst
Level 1
Level 1

And what about using DMVPN to create a backup vpn for the WAN?

What kind of dynamic routing do you prefer (in combination with DMVPN)?

Any other possibilities?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card