Views
Helpful
Replies

Bad file magic number 0x0 ... cannot load "flash"

voiceavadmin
Level 1
Level 1

Hi All,

I'm studying for my CCNA, I'm currently in the later stages of ICND 1.

My problem is IOS related and is as follows:

As part of my network lab I have bought a reconditioned 2600 series routrer (2610XM), which, when it arrived was working just fine. However, something occured which seems to have corrupted the flash file, If I knew what then I would state it here, but I don't, I have a strong suspicion it may be the result of pulling the USB - DB9 out whilst the a connection was still active. Anyway, I am where I am. And that's stuck in ROMmon mode.

I've checked Config Summery and changed configuration and re-booted, as recommended, which got me nowhere.

Next, I looked for a valid image in flash using the "dir flash:" cmd which came back with the followed results:

File Size: 896 bytes (0x380), Checksum: 0x306e, File Name: Start-up

Am I correct in assuming that this means there is no flash file?

Next, I started an xmodem procedure, this was going well right up untill the time when I needed to download the appropriate file from Cisco. I was able to navigate to the download page for flash file: WIC-xAM-V2-F49-1922F-4M-image.bin. However, when I tried to download the file I was halted with the details that I "don't have a valid service contract associated with my cisco.com profile."

So, I'm stuck, in ROMmon mode to be procise.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do next?

Many thanks,

Olly.

6 Replies 6

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can you please post the entire bootup process?

Hi Leolaohoo - Please see the attached doc for start-up process.

Thanks.

Okaaaaay ... Please post the output to the command "dir flash:".

Hi

dir flash: output attached.

Olly.

Thanks Leolaohoo, but, that's the part I know. My problem is that I can't download the IOS from Cisco without having a service contract.

The file I need is WIC-xAM-V2-F49-1922F-4M-image.bin, do you know of another way of downloading the IOS file to my machine so I can carry out the xmodem prcedure????

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card