Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Limitation in Router

rifnas.ahamed
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Need a help on prioritizing traffic/QoS/Bandwidth allocation.

I have a branch office connected to 1 Mbps MPLS link. (LAN: 10.200.10.0/24)

Users in branch office access applications hosted in Head Office. We have two types of applications:

1. Critical Applications (Destination IP: 10.128.0.0/24) - ERP

2. Non-Critical Applications (Destination IP: 10.130.0.0/24) - Email & Virus Guard Push Update

In current setup, branch office link bandwidth is fully utilized for non-critical application access. This makes performance issue for critical application access.

I intent to limit bandwidth in congestion state. Like maximum 0.4 Mbps (40%) for non-critical applications.
Minimum 0.6 Mbps (60%) for critical-applications.

MPLS link is connected to F0/1 in branch CPE. I have access only to branch CPE router.

Please help me with sample configuration.

3 Replies 3

Hello,

the below should work. That said, a 1MB link is really on the extremely low side. Obviously I don't know how heavily the link is being utilized, but 1MB might get saturated really fast. Either way, here is the config:

access-list 101 permit ip 10.200.10.0 0.0.0.255 10.128.0.0 0.0.0.255

access-list 102 permit ip 10.200.10.0 0.0.0.255 10.130.0.0 0.0.0.255

!

class-map match-all LAN_CRITICAL
match access-group 101

!

class-map match-all LAN_NON_CRITICAL
match access-group 102

!

policy-map BRANCH_TO_HO
class LAN_CRITCAL
bandwidth 600
class LAN_NON_CRITCAL
bandwidth 400
class class-default

!

interface FastEthernet0/1
service-policy output BRANCH_TO_HO

Hi

Additional to Georg's comment, there are 2 ways to handle the bandwidth, using: police o shape, the following link could be useful as well. Is good to know they have some differences how they control the traffic. 

http://packetlife.net/blog/2008/jul/30/policing-versus-shaping/

Have a nice new year

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Where's the congestion? To the branch, from the branch, both?

For to the branch, or both, you'll ideally want to apply QoS on the HQ egress. (I see you wrote you have access only to the branch device, but for effective to branch bandwidth management you'll really need HQ side QoS.)

For from the branch, a simple FQ egress policy, might be sufficient.

What's the device and IOS at the branch?

Is the branch's link physically 1 Mbps, or something "faster" with an 1 Mbps bandwidth cap?
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card