cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP balancing

ibanezrick
Level 1
Level 1

I'm a network administrator for an ISP. We are a dual homed BGP shop. We have, in general around 250 Mbps of traffic on each link (2 7206-G2 routers). The problem is, when one link goes down the traffic wouldn't rebalance correctly. We'd end up with about 400 and 100. In order to rebalance it we'd need to reboot the router that was missing traffic, and once it was up, reboot the other router. We've actually moved all of our traffic to the G2 cards from the front cards, which may have fixed the issue. We won't know until we have an outage though.

The main thing I want to know, is there a BGP command that would effect how traffic is balanced after reestablishing the inter link?

Here's my config, minus network statements and changed numbers to protect the innocent. 1.1.1.1 would be the inter link, 2.2.2.2 would be the other ISP

router bgp 12345
no synchronization
bgp log-neighbor-changes

! network entries

neighbor 1.1.1.1 remote-as 12345
neighbor 1.1.1.1 ebgp-multihop 3
neighbor 1.1.1.1 update-source Loopback0
neighbor 1.1.1.1 next-hop-self
neighbor 1.1.1.1 soft-reconfiguration inbound
neighbor 2.2.2.2 remote-as 4321
neighbor 2.2.2.2 password 7 00031E0C055800031B32
neighbor 2.2.2.2 next-hop-self
neighbor 2.2.2.2 soft-reconfiguration inbound
neighbor 2.2.2.2 route-map MAP out
no auto-summary

2 Replies 2

gatlin007
Level 4
Level 4

ibanezrick,

Can you post a network diagram?  What is your IGP?  Are you using CEF?  You should never have to reboot a router to alter packet forwarding.

Chris

the traffic imbalance happens in the incoming direction or outgoing direction?. There are BGP attributes to influence traffic in both direction; when you failed link comes back the BGP can reshaped the traffic back to normal.

Local Preference for outgoing traffic and AS path prepending for incoming traffic.

Share you diagram would further help

Regards,

Syed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card