cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP behavior / default route

mwilson
Level 1
Level 1

Hello all.  I have a few questions that came up during a design session.  

BGP default rout behavior?  In my lab I setup 4 ISP routers running BGP.   They peer to customer routers that advertise their subnets back to the ISP routers.  All seems to be dine.  Until a default-originate statement is added to an ISP router.   That default route propagated through all routers.  Is that normal?  I thought the statement neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate would tell that specific neighbor the default.  My lab proved otherwise.   

In real world I assume all ISPS have filters to block this?

Thanks for any clarification!

6 Replies 6

Hi

It should advertise a default route to the peer only. Could you provide your topology and configuration?

Thank you 

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The default route will only be advertised to the specific neighbor but that neighbor will then advertise it to any of it's BGP neighbors.

Jon

That makes sense then.  In a topology where all the ISP routers peer with an Internet backbone router then the route would just run wild until it hit them all?  Thanks!

Hello

If applicable controlling on what prefixes you wish to be propergated in/out of your environment is preferable without relying on the isp to do so 

res

paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Pawan Raut
Level 4
Level 4

default-originate command user router bgp xxx will advertised default route to all BGP peer. And neighbor x.x.x.x default-originate advertised the default route to that selected BGP neighbor.

Hi,

I have read and tried to digest the implications of the subject of this thread to my own situation and I would ask if someone could confirm my understanding. Firstly, my situation is - I currently receive a Default Route from my IP Transit Provider (in preference to the entire Global Routing Table, which will completely use the available router memory I have available for the present). Out of necessity, I am considering using this same router to connect to a local Peering Exchange and understand that I must not advertise my Default Route to my eBGP peers on the exchange. Is there a way to utilise the neighbor X.X.X.X default-originate  command to allow the advertising of the default route to a defined network thus ensuring I comply with proper peering behavior of not advertising to other BGP neighbors on the Peering Exchange? Appreciate any guidance!

Thanks

Craig  

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card