Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP graceful shutdown

Sam.Preston
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am wondering what is the best approach to put an upstream eBGP session in maintenance in order to minimize the packets loss. 

OPTION 1: shutdown the BGP session

This is the hard/easy way! If the eBGP peer hasn't got a fallback route in its RIB (which is usually the case when using a route-reflector), then it needs to learn a new "best route". But how does this happen?

Answer 1:

- The router first and immediately removes the former route from its RIB as it's now invalid (session down)

- Then it informs the route-reflector that this route is invalid

- Then it gets a new best route from the route-reflector

Answer 2:

- The router keeps the former route in its RIB as long as it doesn't have completed the process of getting a new one - It informs the RR that this route has been withdrawn

- Then it gets a new best route from the RR

- It withdraws the former route from its RIB and inserts the new one

OPTION 2: stop the outgoing prefixes advertisement

Does this change anything compared to option 1 or is it exactly the same in terms of RIB/FIB update procedure and time left without a valid route (which means packet loss)?

OPTION 3: BGP graceful shutdown (set community 65535:0) if the peer implements RFC8326.

Does this option reduce the packet loss duration?

When the upstream router receives the BGP community, it will set the local-preference for the prefix to a low value (like 0). Then the router will inform the RR of the new local-pref

The RR will compute a new best route and send it back to the router

The router will then update its RIB.

I assume that, with this option 3, the upstream router always has a valid route in its RIB so there should be nearly no packet loss (except in case of AS nodes routing inconsistency for a short while during the convergence).

With options 1 and 2, the router does not always have a valid route, therefore there is packet loss for a while. Option 3 seems to be the best.

Note: of course there is also the opposite direction but I only mentioned the egress BGP advertisements in order to simplify the picture.

QUESTION 1: in the context of option 1, which answer is correct: answer 1 or 2?

QUESTION 2: is my assessment of the impact for each scenario correct? Any remark or hint?

Thanks a lot!

1 Reply 1

Raja4u
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Sam,

Can you pls share the diagrams of connectivity, it will be helpful to decide the options. 

and tell, what is the maintenance ( Means, completely isolating the from n/w) ??

Thanks,

Raja

Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card