cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP help with UPnP/DDOS/DNS

andrewpaulsen
Level 1
Level 1

Currently i have 2x1GB BGP routers running at my upstream provider. Recently we had a huge DDOS attack that was a UPnP/SSDP attack that was focused at a customer and it was also attacking our DNS server. The BGP routers & Switches were lit up like a christmas tree, all data lights were pretty much solid trying to process the data coming in. Then my BGP routers just shut themselves down i can only assume that was caused by a Buffer overload. Can someone please advise me on if there is something i can do to help prevent this kind of attack in the future?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hello.

As a DDOS prevention you may use either a DDOS prevention service from third party, or just try to protect your subnets/hosts with 

Remote Triggered Black Hole Filtering

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5635

Also if you faced any issue with network link utilization (inside your network) - deploy QoS or upgrade the links.

PS: I wonder where you were not able to access your BGP routers?! Are they not fast enough to process 1G of data? Don't you protect management and control plane on the network devices?

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Hello.

As a DDOS prevention you may use either a DDOS prevention service from third party, or just try to protect your subnets/hosts with 

Remote Triggered Black Hole Filtering

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5635

Also if you faced any issue with network link utilization (inside your network) - deploy QoS or upgrade the links.

PS: I wonder where you were not able to access your BGP routers?! Are they not fast enough to process 1G of data? Don't you protect management and control plane on the network devices?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card