cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Multihoming and load balancing could cause asymmetric routing??

Ghost Rider
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts

My scenario is very simple. I have two public address space say 1.1.1.0/24 and 2.2.2.0/24. My AS number is public say 234. I have one router with two links. One link is connected to ISP1 and other link is connected to  ISP2. Both ISP are just advertising the default routes to my router and I am advertising 1.1.1.0/24 and 2.2.2.0/24 subnets to boht ISP.

Outgoing load balancing 

----------------------------------

- Since I am getting the two default route in routing table, one from ISP1 and other from ISP2 so I have enabled, mulipath with different-as knob and also configured the per-packet loadbalancing policy and applied in forwarding table 

- Now router will do the per-packet (actually per session L3/L4) load balancing across both links

- Here is my question: Is it wise and practical to do the load balancing per-packet for internet traffic? because protocol

like http is multi-session protocol, when one session go to ISP-1 and other session will go to ISP-2 then it could cause performance issue?? as ISP-1 path to server may be longer than ISP-2 path. Please advise

Incoming Loadbalancing

------------------------------------

- I advertise 1.1.1.0/24 to ISP1 also advertise 1.1.1.0/24 to ISP2 with as-path prepending,so 1.1.1.0/24 subnet will be prefered from ISP1

- Similarly I advertise 2.2.2.0/24 subnet to ISP1 with as-path prepending and advertise 2.2.2.0/24 to ISP2 normally, so 2.2.2.0/24 subnet would be prefered from ISP2

- Here is my question: It is possible that traffic for subnet 1.1.1.0/24 comes from ISP-1 and return traffic will go through ISP-2, as my both default route are active. This will cause the asymmetric routing. This would have any performance impact?? How I make sure that retrun traffic should also go from ISP-1 as well.

Please put some shed on this? 

Regards

KK

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Generally you want to always avoid per-packet load balancing.

Sorry Not sure

milan.kulik
Level 10
Level 10
Hi, ad Outgoing load balancing) I agree with Joseph: Per-packet load balancing can easily come to packets belonging to the same session taking considerably different paths and arriving in an incorrect sequence to the target device. And the target device has to buffer the packets then. And potentially drop or delay the data sent to the application level. So per-packet load balancing should be avoided. ad Incoming Load balancing) Asymmetric routing could have some performance impact in some cases (path MTU detection, etc.) But not necessarily if per-session load balancing is used. You can't make sure that return traffic should go from ISP-1 as well in your topology. You could play with BGP attributes of the advertised prefixes. But in that case ALL incoming traffic would prefer a path through one ISP. And as you are load balancing the outgoing traffic, there would still be some asymmetric routing. So the only way to avoid asymmetric routing would be using one ISP as primary and second ISP as a backup for both outgoing and incoming traffic. Best regards, Milan
Review Cisco Networking for a $25 gift card